Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Depth Transducer run from engine room to flybridge

I installed a new transducer just forward of the port 671 Covington in my 41' 19867 Hatteras convertible. After most of a day with help from a friend we were unable to run the cable through the existing cable run from the starboard side of the conole on the bridge to the starboard aft corner of the engine room. The harness, steering bundle, control cables completely filled race. I reviewed the schematics in my owners manual to look for an alternate route for the cable. Any help from 41 or similar Hatteras boat owners who have encounteerd this would be appreciated. We tried metal, nylon and similar approaches but the bundle fills the race and the cable ties seem to seal the deal.

Re: Depth Transducer run from engine room to flybridge

Is there an old transducer wire that you can use to pull the new one through? sometimes that will work, together with a lot of WD40 sprayed down the chase. Also, did you try an electrician's wiring fish? That might help as well. When I have had to do this (and the wiring chases ARE crowded, at least on my boat they are) those things helped. Usually you have to try to route the new wire at the side or corner of the chase.

Thank you for the reponse Jim. I tried all you the methods you mentioned with both metal and nylon fish, used lubricant, and was very patient but the chase, the wire ties and the bundle blocked the route. 2 unused transducer cables were in the bundle but were tightly secured with ties. Can you think of an alternate routing for the cable as I want to connect to a device in the overhead electronics box at the helm.

I realize that this thread has some age on it but it is exactly where I am now. Any good ideas? Ours is an '88 41C and I mounted the thruhull transducer in front of the starboard 6V92. I am at that spot in the starboard aft corner where everything goes up into the chase. No room for anything else even with the old transducer wires. I am thinking about taking the teak box apart in the salon to have a look behind it. Will I find a solid tube or will it be a bundle of exposed wires/cables/etc.all ty-wrapped together? Just wondering if anyone has had a look or knows...
    David Lewis
    MIMI, 2006 54C
    Washington, NC

I removed the wood covering the aft corner and it exposed the bundled wire in that section. I ended up drilling am additional hole in the flybridge floor to run the cable.I ran the new transducer cable along the stb side and into the console.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT