Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Knots or MPH?

Knots or MPH?

I have always used knots re speed on the water and that's how my chart plotters are set up but the past few days was talking to several people re their boat speed and they were talking in MPH. I asked a dock-friend what the top speed was on his 53MY that was just sea-trialed and he said "21 and change." HOLY MOLY, I replied, a shade over 18 is the best I ever saw out of our 53 and I always thought it ran pretty well.

Turns out he was talking MPH and I was talking Knots.

So now I'm curious...what do most folks use? I realize knots are "traditional" for boats but so are fathoms and nobody I know, including me, uses that depth measurement.

MPH certainly LOOKS more impressive on the speed readout but, sadly, it doesn't get the boat to a destination any quicker.
    Last edited by MikeP; 05-10-2015 at 07:09 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Knots or MPH?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I have always used knots re speed on the water and that's how my chart plotters are set up but the past few days was talking to several people re their boat speed and they were talking in MPH. I asked a dock-friend what the top speed was on his 53MY that was just sea-trialed and he said "21 and change." HOLY MOLY, I replied, a shade over 18 is the best I ever saw out of our 53 and I always thought it ran pretty well.

Turns out he was talking MPH and I was talking Knots.

So now I'm curious...what do most folks use? I realize knots are "traditional" for boats but so are fathoms and nobody I know, including me, uses that depth measurement.

MPH certainly LOOKS more impressive on the speed readout but, sadly, it doesn't get the boat to a destination any quicker.
    Knots unless you are a freshwater boater.
    Jack Sardina

For me, it depends on where I'm at. When we are on the river system I set the chartplotters to statute miles and talk miles per hour. When we were in the gulf, I set the plotters on nautical miles and talk knots. Generally if someone asks about speed I use knots.
    Blaine
    1992 43C - "Journey"
    Pace, FL

I mix it all up deliberately. Speed always in knots, distance on the AICW in statute miles because that is how the charts read. So when I have a bridge to time, I have to do a quick mental calculation to get the timing right.... or scroll ahead on Nobeltec and activate a mark. Everywhere else it is nautical miles.

Bobk
    Chateau de Mer
    Preparing to depart Tuesday for the trip north. This will be trip number 26.

I use statute so I get better fuel economy.

NM/KT is the only unit that makes any sense being based on a minute of lat. I always use that.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Knots unless you are a freshwater boater.
    Wrong! Knots because it matches up with nautical miles and one nautical mile is one minute of latitude and easy to figure on a chart. That's very important on the Great Lakes and the ocean, just not on the rivers.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Knots. When I hear someone use mph, I know they have a small gas boat or are brand new to boating. If you've got diesels or a boat over 15', you speak knots.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

I too use Knots. All of the units on all of my navigation equipment are set for NM/KTS so I try to keep everything uniform, as to not make a mistake in my Time, Speed, and Distance calculations.
    1998 39SX

Quote Originally Posted by TopHattandTails View Post
    Knots. When I hear someone use mph, I know they have a small gas boat or are brand new to boating. If you've got diesels or a boat over 15', you speak knots.
    I'm sorry, but that's just dumb. I mean, seriously?

As previously stated, when running rivers or the ICW, miles per hour is the only measurement that makes sense given all distances on markers and charts are in statute miles. I suppose it could impress the "small gas" boaters if you want to do the math by converting your big boat knots. My guess is that Captain Bubba who is in his 30th year of piloting a tow with 1,000's of diesel ponies and pushing a dozen barges won't be impressed.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93