Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 53MY new floors

53MY new floors

I have replaced the carpet in the saloon with hard wood and have made itdown the staris to the galley. I jumped ahead and replaced the carpet and two layers of vinyl in the forward stateroom and head with Amtico. I still have the Galley, companionway and the two aft heads to cover with Amtico but wanted to share the progress photos now. The steps are solid maogany and I used Amtico for the risers from the galley up. The single step down to the forward is also solid mahogony and I have replaced the two ply woor supports with three solid teak supports made from the origianl step that was covered with carpet.
    Each piece of plywood in those steps has a part number, a work order number and appraently "Sussie" got the assignment to make them, or install them as he name is also on much of the woodwork in this boat.
    I have also cut our the forward hatch and have picture framed it with matching mahogony. That goes in this weekend.

salon floor 3.jpgStairs complete 1.jpgForward 1.jpg
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Re: 53MY new floors

Wow very nice Jim! What kind of wood is in the salon? The teak and holly is amtico? Really nice. Does that come in a sheet you cut like regular vinyl?

Vinyl is usually made in 3'X3' slabs and cut to various sizes. We used to buy untrimmed 37' nominal and have send it out to a water jet cutter in Iowa for the sizes we needed for a project. The thin strips are normally called feature strips.

Used a lot of Amtico commercially over the years and it has always been an excellent product.

johnjen50
    Thank you for the kind words. This was my first ever flooring project. The amtico is individual strips. There are severl post related to the product and how to install. If you search and read what MikeP has posted you will get a great deal of valued information on how to install it. It were his projects and post that let me believe I could do this.
    I finished off the hatch and here is a pic:Forward hatch.jpg
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Very pretty, and you are right, Mike is a mine of information. You should see that floor in "person", it is very well done.

I like your pics - very nice job. I have looked at several teak and holly products and have not yet seen the amtico. Where would be the best place to to get samples? I appreciate any feedback I can get!! Thanks!!
    "Mad Hatteras"
    1984 53ED

Search for Amtico on-line and they have a page of samples that are easy to order.
    The part numbers I used are:

3” x 36” FLOORING PLANKS “UNBEVELED”
    Style Amtico – Wood (IAR0W) Color Teak (AR0W6990)

FLOORING PLANKS “cut to 1/4” Strips”
    Style Amtico – Wood (IAR0W) Color White Oak (AR0W7520)
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Jim,
    Thanks for the compliment. My camera work is awful. Both floors look much better in person. I did find that everything Mike said about this job was pretty much true. Layout is critical, and then clean up , clean up, and more clean up as you go is a must.

I'm planning to tackle the companion way and the other tow heads in the next week or so, wish me luck.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

The pictures show yoou know what you are doing! Luck won't enter into the equation

One caveat: like painting, prep is everything. Vinyl will telegraph any imperfections you leave in the substrate.

Thanks Peter, I have been careful with the prep work. Removing all the old adhesive is a real pain but, I was aware of the potential you described and was extra careful to level and imperfections I noticed.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'