Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: 1985 45' Hatteras tricked out for sale, owner wants to move up

Here is last years White Marlin Open count
    Attached Images

Fished 6 days on my ol gal last week. 5 Black marlin all between 350-400 Lb, 1 blue marlin around 250 lb, and 2 sailfish, along with a lot of 35#+ Dolphin
    very cool and Tropic Star Lodge is an amazing place. She has been renamed after Zane, the owners grandmother.
    I couldnt be happier for the family and all the people from around the world that will be fishing her for many years to come
    http://www.tropicstar.com/en/fishing...-30,-2016.html
    Attached Images
    Last edited by polarizer; 02-05-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Hook and line guys will never put a dent in any fishery ith the commercial guys that do all the damage. In the early 70's the boats I mated on that did overnight trips would run in to the 40 fathom line to tile fish. By the mid to late 70's we found out there were swordfish to be had out in 1000 fathoms particularly in the "alligator bites"of the canyons. August 23 1980 I put 9 swordfish on the boat plus released 12 white Marlin that day. By 1985 the Jap long liners moved in with 30-40 miles of gear and factory ships processing the catch. Marlin tuna sharks those damn japs killed them all. By summer of 1986 I made 7 offshore trips and never saw a fish the canyons were cleaned out and the Japs moved on. I pointed the bow south and never looked back. Things up there have come back but it only takes a couple years of these ocean rapists to destroy it again. Watch a couple episodes of whale wars to see what kind of pricks these Japs really are. Think about that before you hand your money over to Toyota or Lexus!
    I'm with you on this, they did the same business in the GOM. Read a comment in a magazine years ago comparing commercial fishing to the chicken industry, it would be like they would slaughter all the chickens, eat all the eggs, and set the chicken barn on fire. Not judging the landing at the Tropic Star, that fish may have been died on in the fight? The locals would definitely put it to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I'm with you on this, they did the same business in the GOM. Read a comment in a magazine years ago comparing commercial fishing to the chicken industry, it would be like they would slaughter all the chickens, eat all the eggs, and set the chicken barn on fire.
    And then cry the blues that they can't make a living and sue the gov't for letting them do it.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    And then cry the blues that they can't make a living and sue the gov't for letting them do it.
    Yep, of course after the fishing has been KO'd.

Polarizer....what a great place, special place for your lady to be based, doing what she was intended to do. You should be happy/proud!!! Pinas Bay is a very special "bucket list" location for serious offshore fisherman and you for sure picked the right time to go. I look forward to revisiting the bay, the mooring ball, Nov/Dec when we head back down from the DR for the 2016/2017 season. I'll look her up for you, take some pictures, and check on her well-being.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Hook and line guys will never put a dent in any fishery ith the commercial guys that do all the damage. In the early 70's the boats I mated on that did overnight trips would run in to the 40 fathom line to tile fish. By the mid to late 70's we found out there were swordfish to be had out in 1000 fathoms particularly in the "alligator bites"of the canyons. August 23 1980 I put 9 swordfish on the boat plus released 12 white Marlin that day. By 1985 the Jap long liners moved in with 30-40 miles of gear and factory ships processing the catch. Marlin tuna sharks those damn japs killed them all. By summer of 1986 I made 7 offshore trips and never saw a fish the canyons were cleaned out and the Japs moved on. I pointed the bow south and never looked back. Things up there have come back but it only takes a couple years of these ocean rapists to destroy it again. Watch a couple episodes of whale wars to see what kind of pricks these Japs really are. Think about that before you hand your money over to Toyota or Lexus!
    I fished out of Moriches inlet until the mid /late 80's. It was great and even though the number of fish we could catch limited the damage we could do to the fishery we had boats going out just to kill tuna for a few $ and bragging rights.

The sport fishing industry is not the danger to the species. The attitude that threes so many fish so no big deal for the commercial guys to fish too is.

I went tuna fishing many times and never limited out because we couldn't dress and chill that much. between 500 and 1000 lbs of meat and we were loaded. anything else and we were overloaded on the smaller boats or out of ice and space on the larger ones. Id see boats coming in from the canyons with 12 fish on deck in the sun spoiled but they were proud and wanted to weigh them in.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Must have been a slow weekend. Several old threads suddenly float to the top.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Must have been a slow weekend. Several old threads suddenly float to the top.
    Global warmcooling.