Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Tips for haul-out work and what to look at / inspect?

This will be my first haul-out of my 1980 Hatteras 37C. After power washing and scrubbing the growth that will remain under the slings I will let it dry for a day or so and apply couple coats of new anti fouling paint. At same time I'll renew shaft zincs, rudder zincs and one slab on the transom. I will renew the engine shaft stuffing box packing. I will inspect the swim platform brackets, struts and cutlass bearings.

One of my trim-tabs is not working so i'll see if I can fix that but that is not the priority.

What else would you suggest to check and do while the boat is on hard for 8-10 days?

I hauled my sailboats previously, but this is first time I am doing it with the power boat.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: Tips for haul-out work and what to look at / inspect?

Quote Originally Posted by brico View Post
    This will be my first haul-out of my 1980 Hatteras 37C. After power washing and scrubbing the growth that will remain under the slings I will let it dry for a day or so and apply couple coats of new anti fouling paint. At same time I'll renew shaft zincs, rudder zincs and one slab on the transom. I will renew the engine shaft stuffing box packing. I will inspect the swim platform brackets, struts and cutlass bearings.

One of my trim-tabs is not working so i'll see if I can fix that but that is not the priority.

What else would you suggest to check and do while the boat is on hard for 8-10 days?

I hauled my sailboats previously, but this is first time I am doing it with the power boat.

What did the survey say?

What else shows signs of age or imminent failure?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

X2 on what Scott said.

Grab on the rudders and shake them hard. The shafts may be worn or their stuffing may need to be replaced.

Props dinged?

Thru-hulls full of paint?
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

There was no major issues with the underwater section during the short haul-out for survey in March last year. Apart from one trim-tab not working, there was a small chip on the trailing edge of one of the rudders and surveyor commented on buildup of old paint, but I do not feel i need to strip that down at this point. No osmosis / bubbles were observed and I do not have any leaks.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Through hulls, hoses, cutlass bearings, stuffing boxes. Not all the underwater stuff is on the outside of the boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by brico View Post

Have you ever thought of under water transom lights? Mine were just installed today.

Might be a good time to grease all the seacocks, after inspecting them.

Its also the best time to mark your favorite fishing spot. Once in the water the sharpies don't write as well.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

In addition to all the above, when Chateau de Mer is hauled, I always check the hull for moisture anywhere there is a penetration like bolts for platform supports, spray rails etc.

Bobk

You may want to add external strainers to the engine and AC intakes. Not trying to state the obvious but this is a great time to clean and polish the hull. I think most of the critical stuff has been covered.
    Jack Sardina