Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1981 Hatteras 56 MY- How badly does it need Niad stabilizers ?

Seems like a pretty tall boat that would greatly benefit from Niads, even in the ICW if conditions a little rough or dealing with wakes from other large boats. What say ye ?

Cost to retrofit new stabilizers ? From a quick search, at least $55K including install/yard time.

Re: 1981 Hatteras 56 MY- How badly does it need Niad stabilizers ?

What happened top the 60?
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    What happened top the 60?
    Nothing..just looking at Plan B and C in case the 60 survey doesn't go well. Already been bitten once in that regard. Plus I'm simply curious. Friend of mine had a 48 foot Cheoy Lee LRC and says he'd never have a tall boat that LOA or longer without stabilizers ever again..like they are the greatest thing since the lightbulb.

I had a 1981 56 with stabilizers. I would not own that boat without them.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    As I suspected. Can you describe the boat rock 'n roll with them compared to turned off during various conditions ? Needed more at trawler speeds (8 to 10 knots) than at faster speeds, (16 knots) yes ?

Forget the survey and seatrial. Post some pics here and we can tell you what is wrong with it

Have you even been out on one a hatt motoryacht?

Maybe a charter? A friends boat?

I had been on more than one similar boat to mine when I bought it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I think you will get similar replies from most that owned stabilized boats. Question is how do you feel the boat is without them? Or if you can find a buyer who installed them after owning the boat for a while, they may be able to give you a more accurate assesment of how the boat was without them and if the addition of stabilizers was more of a want than a need. Stabilizers will be a big plus for you given your stated use and slow speed cruising. Most 53 owners like the ride of the 53MY. Those that have stabilizers will tell you the same as JLR did, they'd never own a 53MY without one. Stabilizers do greatly improve the ride at slow speeds for just about any boat. If you've never run or been out on one of these boats, consider asking for a sea trial prior to survey to determine if the ride is acceptable. Of course this would be on a boat that you have a signed contract and deposit on. Best would be to try and charter one if you can find one available.
    Jack Sardina

They reduce the roll on my 43 by 87%.
    There are a couple utubes of boats with them on and off. They are like magic.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

In reasonably sheltered waters (ICW, most bays, etc) you don't reeally need them. If you re going to run offshore quite a bit and don't want to have to wait a day or so then yes, very nice to have.

I run a top heavy 70 footer, not a hatt, and between a skylounge, 14' tnder, jet ski and spare 34" wheels all up top I pick my days when crossing the stream or the NW channel. If not I sing "roll roll roll your boat, roll across the stream...) all the way to the exumas!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Forget the survey and seatrial. Post some pics here and we can tell you what is wrong with it
    OK, here ya go http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981...s#.VTUpKWajVFA