Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: quarter rail/fender repairs

Mine were replaced with Ironbark and I've never been able to keep a finish on them.

Change of plan. Rail on stbd side is rotten and wet. Now about 1/3 removed, if rain lets up I will do more this week. Mulling over what to replace it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I had a pair made to replace on a 34. had them made out of PVC board. It paints well and is never going to rot. they bedded in nicely and then polished the old stainless to finish them off.

As for hauling damage I do not know of any hatt where the rear rails should be in the slings but forward spray rails and lifting rails need to be blocked before hauling.
    I am wondering if thats how mine were done?
    Never thought about asking back then and that was 15 years ago next month but most likely made from a piece a good table saw and off you go!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I am looking at preformed fiberglass structurals from Strongwell- if they can make up a piece to the right dimensions, we could epoxy it on and then finish it to suit. I have to go take a few measurements and call their local dealer back. Might be the way to go as it would bond better than PVC and take primer and paint better as well.

Mine are rotten too. We are contemplating taking them off, using the best one for a mold, wrapping it in a mold release on it, and glassing it over. Then we can thicken it, finish them, etc. I'll be following what you do, Jim, because I need to do this too.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I am looking at preformed fiberglass structurals from Strongwell- if they can make up a piece to the right dimensions, we could epoxy it on and then finish it to suit. I have to go take a few measurements and call their local dealer back. Might be the way to go as it would bond better than PVC and take primer and paint better as well.
    The PVC can be glued and hold paint very well

But mine are only over 18 years old so lets not go by that
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

While there is something to be said for "making it better than Hatteras made it", you might also consider how long the originals mahogany rails lasted. Another 30-40 years might be enough for you.

I used sapele (an "African mahogany") to build Lilly Marie's new swim platform. It was an easy wood to work with, priced reasonably, and has held up well in an similar environment to spray rails.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    The PVC can be glued and hold paint very well

But mine are only over 18 years old so lets not go by that
    But how will they look in another 18 years? Will your eye sight be good enough to tell?

Will you even care at your age?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Mine are rotten too. We are contemplating taking them off, using the best one for a mold, wrapping it in a mold release on it, and glassing it over. Then we can thicken it, finish them, etc. I'll be following what you do, Jim, because I need to do this too.
    Ang, I think the cross sections of the ones I bought from SAMS were not symmetrical, so making two from one design (side) may not look right, and if they do add to lift, it may cause a list.

Bobk

Probably not. I'll be lucky to be around in twenty years, let alone boating. I hope I am still in the game.

Waiting for some estimated costs. We will definitely have to replace the stbd rail. It's possible the port one can wait until winter, but I am not certain on that. I'll post information as I go, maybe even photos.