Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

I have not seen this boat, but it's in Annapolis, so if you want me to take a quick look, I can do so. PM me off line.

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Until I see in in person there is no way to know if it is "the one I want" so might as well be discussing delivery fees in the meantime. By your "perspective" I suppose we should extend our search to Spain and Lake Titicaca as well
    I just thought that to a shooter like you that delivery fees would not keep you from buying the right boat. I never said the Ohio boat was "The one you want".

No, That is not it. That one is still with her owner and is a nice boat (the last time I saw her) and well worth a look. The repo situation is a tad bit complicated. It may be a while before she can hit the open market.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    No, That is not it. That one is still with her owner and is a nice boat (the last time I saw her) and well worth a look. The repo situation is a tad bit complicated. It may be a while before she can hit the open market.
    OK, thanks. I called and no one knew the boat, so I got passed from person to person (in Annapolis office) and finally left voice mail about it with the final link in their chain, waiting to hear back.

Aren't reposessions sometimes problematic in that the "owner" tends to strip off expensive electronics and such ?

OK, thanks. I called and no one knew the boat, so I got passed from person to person (in Annapolis office) and finally left voice mail about it with the final link in their chain, waiting to hear back.

Aren't reposessions sometimes problematic in that the "owner" tends to strip off expensive electronics and such ?
    Every boat and deal is different. Only way to tell if it's a deal worth making is to go take a look. Most repos aren't worth the effort but many are nice boats that were cared for until the owner had a change in life.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Every boat and deal is different. Only way to tell if it's a deal worth making is to go take a look. Most repos aren't worth the effort but many are nice boats that were cared for until the owner had a change in life.
    True enough. National Yacht Sales guy finally called back. He can't give a price or exact availability time yet but he did email me some photos. It's not bad looking really but a bit too iffy for me I think...esp the look of the engines.

True enough. National Yacht Sales guy finally called back. He can't give a price or exact availability time yet but he did email me some photos. It's not bad looking really but a bit too iffy for me I think...esp the look of the engines.
    The LOOK of the engines? What looks bad? Anyone can put a coat of paint and new hoses on a tired, worn out smoker. You really can't tell anything until you start them and run some diagnostics.

I probably shouldn't say this since it should be obvious, but without actually getting aboard you can't tell too much from photos or even from talking to a broker. When I bought my 53 in 2004, I traveled all over and looked at some dogs that were supposed to be outstanding from what the brokers had told me.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 04-13-2015 at 09:50 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You also need to tread very carefully when dealing with National liquidators. They're notorious for unethical practices.
    Jack Sardina

Are you guys still entertained by this?? really?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The LOOK of the engines? What looks bad? Anyone can put a coat of paint and new hoses on a tired, worn out smoker. You really can't tell anything until you start them and run some diagnostics.
    Seeing as I didn't anticipate being interrogated about the comment, I don't remember exact details but the engine rooms were pretty dirty in general with some areas around the pipes indicating salt water leakage (green scum) and oil leakage.

But true, they might be absolutely fine regardless...it was just that combined with other hints here and there that the boat leaned toward the "not well cared for category". But also true one really needs to see a boat in real life.

In fact in my experience the brokers often take terrible photos and the boat is often considerably nicer in real life than in the photos. But sometimes just the opposite, like the Viking 55 MY, Lady Mira in Texas that has a 5 year old photo of the exterior on Yachtworld and the vessel looks much worse than that today.