Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post

I have strongly recommended he carefully consider TOP HATT AND TAILS. In my humble opinion, it's probably the most Hatteras for the money available today. The right model year. The right engines. The right hours. The fresh water since new history. New Generator. Where do I stop??? I personally think this would be his most intelligent choice in the marketplace right now. Because of the boat it's reported to be.
    If only it wasn't so far away from us (Nightingale is as well of course) Any WAG from you guys on the time and cost to get it Beaufort, SC, assuming running at 9 knots...cost via professional captan or doing it ourselves ?

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    If only it wasn't so far away from us (Nightingale is as well of course) Any WAG from you guys on the time and cost to get it Beaufort, SC, assuming running at 9 knots...cost via professional captan or doing it ourselves ?
    If it is the boat that fits your wants, what difference would it make? If it is the right boat and you buy it on the spot you could probably have it in your slip within 6 weeks easily, which is nothing compared to how long you have been looking for the right one. I am not being flippant, just looking at it from a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    If it is the boat that fits your wants, what difference would it make? If it is the right boat and you buy it on the spot you could probably have it in your slip within 6 weeks easily, which is nothing compared to how long you have been looking for the right one. I am not being flippant, just looking at it from a different perspective.
    Until I see in in person there is no way to know if it is "the one I want" so might as well be discussing delivery fees in the meantime. By your "perspective" I suppose we should extend our search to Spain and Lake Titicaca as well
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-12-2015 at 03:31 PM.

This is truly one of the most ridiculous threads that I have seen on this site.
    It this chap is a serous buyer, why doesn't he retain a buyer's broker who is experienced in vintage Hatteras yachts to assist him rather than put himself out to the members of this site? Many well intentioned but not professional yacht brokers are chattering as much as an Obama speech!

Spin

Malacron. There is a very clean 1981 53' MY that has recently been repo'd and is offered by National Yacht Sales in Annapolis. It is in the slip next to my 1984 53 MY Proud Mary and has several nice updates I've yet to get to on my boat. I do not yet see the listing online, but a phone call should get details. R/ BC

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    This is truly one of the most ridiculous threads that I have seen on this site.
    It this chap is a serous buyer, why doesn't he retain a buyer's broker who is experienced in vintage Hatteras yachts to assist him rather than put himself out to the members of this site? Many well intentioned but not professional yacht brokers are chattering as much as an Obama speech!
    Why not do both ?? (which is the case) And what is wrong with "putting myself out the members of this site" ? I can separate the wheat from the chaff easily enough....and all I read is chaff from you.

And FWIW, I've already been in contact with an interesting 58 Yacht fish owner who has just now decided to sell his baby, not listed anywhere yet, due to the topic here. As to whether I will buy that or not I have no idea yet, but the topic is producing some results already, plus the tips from Pizzaz and Boatboy which also sound interesting.

And maybe I'm sounding like a neophyte to some of you but rest assured this is not my first boat rodeo....I know more about these boats than most brokers...way more in some cases.
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-12-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Cost will vary greatly depending on how you want to run and who runs it. If you buy a GL boat you'll be running slow through the NY canal system. Figure roughly 1NMPG when running at hull speed.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Cost will vary greatly depending on how you want to run .
    Right, which is why I already stated 9 knots. Was hoping someone here had already make a similar journey or could point me to a nautical equivalent of Mapquest to see the most logical route on an iPad or desktop computer.

You need to sit down with a chart kit and plot your course. I usually figure an 8-10 Hour day. Some days are shorter or longer depending on where I want to stop. I also like to run faster so my stops would be further and days fewer. You can get a basic idea of distance by plotting a rough course on this site http://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm
    Set the distance to NM so you can estimate fuel usage better. This is a well traveled route for many of the bigger MYs that make the trip each year. An experienced captain should be able to give you an accurate estimate of days needed. I'd figure at least $500 per day for a captain and mate, that may be a bit low but not too far off.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Boatboy21403 View Post
    Malacron. There is a very clean 1981 53' MY that has recently been repo'd and is offered by National Yacht Sales in Annapolis. It is in the slip next to my 1984 53 MY Proud Mary and has several nice updates I've yet to get to on my boat. I do not yet see the listing online, but a phone call should get details. R/ BC
    Is this it ?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981...s#.VSsOg2ajVFA