Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

Oh good grief, I did not steal your popcorn.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Sorry I made false accusations about the theft of popcorn.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Jack Sardina

Hey! Do you know EB's roll real bad offshore?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Hey! Do you know EB's roll real bad offshore?
    Nice to see you're still happy to throw lit matches around gasoline.
    Jack Sardina

The party was getting a little stale!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

FWIW, as of yesterday I have a contract on an 1989 Hatteras 60 MY (yes, went a little larger than we expected to). The boat is beautiful inside and out but there was major concern by me over the engine hours at 4,500 . Reportedly rebuilt at 3000 hours but no paperwork to prove it.

Normally I'd presume given no receipts the claim bogus, but in this case I think it highly likely to be true. I say this as the engines (8v92TA) upon cold startup had only a tiny bit of smoke and within 5 seconds, no smoke at all...even with revving up... NO smoke.

Owners mechanic was there and claimed he thought if babied they could easily go to 10,000 hours. they have block heaters as well, to,inhibit internal rust when sitting.

Also they look amazing...cleaner than many Detroits I've seen with 500 hours...and not recent "detailing"...paint appears to be years old and yet nearly pristine.

Still, the surveyors may yet find serious problems in the following weeks so not breaking out the champagne just yet.
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-17-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    FWIW, as of yesterday I have a contract on an 1989 Hatteras 60 MY (yes, went a little larger than we expected to). The boat is beautiful inside and out but there was major concern by me over the engine hours at 4,500 . Reportedly rebuilt at 3000 hours but no paperwork to prove it.

Normally I'd presume given no receipts the claim bogus, but in this case I think it highly likely to be true. I say this as the engines (8v92TA) upon cold startup had only a tiny bit of smoke and within 5 seconds, no smoke at all...even with revving up... NO smoke.

Owners mechanic was there and claimed he thought if babied they could easily go to 10,000 hours. they have block heaters as well, to,inhibit internal rust when sitting.

Also they look amazing...cleaner than many Detroits I've seen with 500 hours...and not recent "detailing"...paint appears to be years old and yet nearly pristine.

Still, the surveyors may yet find serious problems in the following weeks so not breaking out the champagne just yet.
    Congratulations on your accepted offer. Hope it all works out for you, sounds like a nice boat. I wouldn't worry about the size increase. Maintenence cost will be about the same other than by the foot dockage or bottom jobs etc. Other than that, systems wise and motors it's all the same. I think the mechanic maybe a bit over stating at 10,000 hours though. If it was a Sportfish Charter boat trolling around for 8 hours a day I'd say you may get 20 to 30,000 hours as I know of a few that have done it, but they're used everyday and barely cool down before thy're leaving the barn again. But a personal use boat, years of time have more of an effect than hours of use. So long as they run good during survey, and cross hatching looks good I see no reason not to believe the seller.

From my expieriences most,,,,not all, but most owners of these boats are stand up people and wouldn't purpously mislead you. If the boat looks well cared for, than you know it meant alot to the owner and I'm sure it will be fine. We always have children aboard and I know me personally would never let anything go that could possibly create an unsafe situation. Most Hatteras, or any other quality boat owners for that matter are the same way.

Again, Good Luck.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post

If the boat looks well cared for, than you know it meant alot to the owner and I'm sure it will be fine.
    It looks really well cared for.... I was amazed first time I saw the mechanicals...18 KW generator is only a few years old, with 400 hours I think. All Cruisair units look like brand new...entire generator room looks pristine for that matter. Niads recently serviced with new seals and new hydraulic cylinder on one. No rust anywhere inside...not on water heater, any brackets, nothing. Big 8D batteries look like new, with 2014 dates, on and on. As I say, I was amazed.
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-17-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    It looks really well cared for.... I was amazed first time I saw the mechanicals...18 KW generator is only a few years old, with 400 hours I think. All Cruisair units look like brand new...entire generator room looks pristine for that matter. Niads recently serviced with new seals and new hydraulic cylinder on one. No rust anywhere inside...not on water heater, any brackets, nothing. Big 8D batteries look like new, with 2014 dates, on and on. As I say, I was amazed.
    That says a lot. I would bet he's a straight shooter and anything the surveaor finds is something that probably just became an issue and he was unware of. When boats are nice even in places a guest would never look, "Generator Room" that tells you it's the type of owner that when something breaks it's fixed. Or better yet, if his captain or mechanic says they "Think" it's about to, or could possibly break they fix it anyway. If it's something vital to the operation of a system on the boat and it starts acting up I'd rather replace it with new and keep old as a spare than it ruin a trip or worse put my family at risk.

Case in point, Last year before a Keys Trip we had been having issues with our Fresh water pump, so rather than wait for it to go and possibly ruin our trip we installed a new pump and had the old one rebuilt to keep as a spare.

Some people, "Friends" have made fun of me for replacing worn items before they actually fail. But, with my kids in school we have little time to use our boat now so I don't want to ruin a trip due to being cheap and letting something go a little to long. The other reason is, to be honest,,, the ocean scares me a little and last thing I want is to be broken down miles from land with my family on board.

Tony
    Tony