Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 50' hatteras my

50' hatteras my

There is an ad for an early 50' Hatteras MY on Ebay today, with some strange repairs to the bottom.

does anybody know this boat, and if so, is it any good?

Re: 50' hatteras my

Quote Originally Posted by mderlick View Post
    There is an ad for an early 50' Hatteras MY on Ebay today, with some strange repairs to the bottom.

does anybody know this boat, and if so, is it any good?

Dont know this specific boat, but a cored bottom was #1 on my list of "boats to avoid". Just complicates an already problem prone area (blistering, thru-hulls, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
    Dont know this specific boat, but a cored bottom was #1 on my list of "boats to avoid". Just complicates an already problem prone area (blistering, thru-hulls, etc).
    These are 1960's boats with solid, overbuilt hulls. You won't find coring in a 50MY.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I can only guess that what they are talking about are the decks vs the hull.

Core bottom of Balsa (used to 1972 by Hatteras in bottoms) from Chines to Strigners in a 'U' pattern from behind the engine rooms all the way around the aft. Replaced with divinicell system and all new fiberglass

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hatteras-50-...m=261820239515
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I got this reply from the seller, responding to my questions.

How many hours on the engines and generator?

When where the engines last overhauled?

"Generator is under 50 since new. The engines do not have hour meters but have been serviced religiously and inspected last summer. Both run as designed with no signs of wear."

No details on when or if they have been overhauled. Just that they have been "religiously serviced and inspected last summer."

Douglas

If I'm not mistaken, West Chester PA is not on the water. My guess is that this boat is perhaps on the Chesapeake.

If it's close to Annapolis and anyone wants it looked at, subject to my work schedule I'll take a look at her.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasl View Post

"Generator is under 50 since new. The engines do not have hour meters but have been serviced religiously and inspected last summer. Both run as designed with no signs of wear."

No details on when or if they have been overhauled. Just that they have been "religiously serviced and inspected last summer."

Douglas

Religiously serviced = I pray they dont break down.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasl View Post

Douglas
    But they're green.

I've never seen green Detroit's in a Hatteras. Checked the brochure archive and it's shows white. Wonder if it was repowered with truck engines.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    But they're green.

I've never seen green Detroit's in a Hatteras. Checked the brochure archive and it's shows white. Wonder if it was repowered with truck engines.
    Our 1975 43DC had green 671's. It seems that anything Covington marinized was painted white but these were J&T's.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

This is my boat. The boat had a dedicated captain and additional mechanics that services her regularly. The previous owners took a no expense spared approach to mechanical repairs, so it shows well for a vintage boat. There is no blistering not problem with the hull. My wife and I are sad to see her go but it's not a fit for us this year. I'm happy to answer any questions members may have and am open to any information I may not have listed correctly in the eBay ad.