Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

Tony, that philosophy is a good one. Many years ago one of the car magazines had an article about keeping a vehicle for a long time, and the key for them was preemptive removal of parts.

The idea was if statistically an alternator was going to go 90K miles (they had all sorts of numbers), then changing it out for $100 at 80K miles only lost 9% of it's life (value $9), but kept you from ever being stranded which could set you back far more. And you as the owner chose the time and place for the maintenance--exactly what you are doing.

DAN

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Tony, that philosophy is a good one. Many years ago one of the car magazines had an article about keeping a vehicle for a long time, and the key for them was preemptive removal of parts.

The idea was if statistically an alternator was going to go 90K miles (they had all sorts of numbers), then changing it out for $100 at 80K miles only lost 9% of it's life (value $9), but kept you from ever being stranded which could set you back far more. And you as the owner chose the time and place for the maintenance--exactly what you are doing.

DAN
    Wow, see that, I'm not as dumb as I look.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    That says a lot. I would bet he's a straight shooter and anything the surveaor finds is something that probably just became an issue and he was unware of. When boats are nice even in places a guest would never look, "Generator Room" that tells you it's the type of owner that when something breaks it's fixed. Or better yet, if his captain or mechanic says they "Think" it's about to, or could possibly break they fix it anyway. If it's something vital to the operation of a system on the boat and it starts acting up I'd rather replace it with new and keep old as a spare than it ruin a trip or worse put my family at risk.

Case in point, Last year before a Keys Trip we had been having issues with our Fresh water pump, so rather than wait for it to go and possibly ruin our trip we installed a new pump and had the old one rebuilt to keep as a spare.

Some people, "Friends" have made fun of me for replacing worn items before they actually fail. But, with my kids in school we have little time to use our boat now so I don't want to ruin a trip due to being cheap and letting something go a little to long. The other reason is, to be honest,,, the ocean scares me a little and last thing I want is to be broken down miles from land with my family on board.

Tony
    Tony
    Nothing like rebuilt spares, too...Murphy says that if you have one you'll never need it.

Congratulations Milacron!

The longer you own that model, the more you will appreciate her. Good Luck with survey and trial run.

We own such a yacht, Dionysus, a 1977 'galley up' that has been my life's passion for the past 15 years. It is freshwater and always has been. We are the third owners. It has been painstakingly restored beyond her original glory. Please feel free to visit SkipperBuds.com to see a video our broker put together as well as fairly extensive photos. It is a super performing yacht with 8V92 TA's, cruises at 15 knots, and tops out just over 20. She lives in an indoor heated boathouse all year. Everyone who sees her refuses to believe she is of that vintage. I keep extensive records of all work done on the yacht and nothing has been neglected or overlooked. I challenge you to find a better yacht for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by RandSand58 View Post
    We own such a yacht, Dionysus, a 1977 'galley up' that has been my life's passion for the past 15 years. It is freshwater and always has been. We are the third owners. It has been painstakingly restored beyond her original glory. Please feel free to visit SkipperBuds.com to see a video our broker put together as well as fairly extensive photos. It is a super performing yacht with 8V92 TA's, cruises at 15 knots, and tops out just over 20. She lives in an indoor heated boathouse all year. Everyone who sees her refuses to believe she is of that vintage. I keep extensive records of all work done on the yacht and nothing has been neglected or overlooked. I challenge you to find a better yacht for the money.
    That's a unique 58 with the custom extended salon. It was very nicely done.

http://skipperbuds.com/Page.aspx/dii...eras-58MY.aspx
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    That's a unique 58 with the custom extended salon. It was very nicely done.
    Yes, beautiful. Was tempted on Dionysus months ago but in the end decided that extended salon was a problem for us as we really would like a bit more aft deck length for outside activities.

As to the engine room appearance, there is a 1990 Hatteras 54/62 in Lighthouse Point, FL that is even nicer still in that regard. Amazingly, the owner of that one has zero paperwork on the overhauls however.