Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fish

Budget up to $285,000 cash or $375,000 if boat is stunning (would have to borrow $90K to go that high, but that is doable if inspired enough) The Hatteras 56 Nightingale is a good example of what we want, but price is beyond budget (not to mention distance from us in SC) Alternatively, need time machine to buy 58 yacht fish, Pizzazs !

But seriously, no dreaming here, ready to buy NOW. Email

procyon at hargray dot com or call 843-271-2106
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-10-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

I should mention that we are aware of the beautiful 53 yacht fish for sale in St. Petersburg...I have been aboard in fact (although only at night), but the problem with that one, for our purposes anyway, is only two staterooms and no proper place to store a dinghy.

In fact I suppose any 53 would have to be a MY rather than yacht fish due to the dinghy issue....unless it was modified like Misty, a restored 53 yacht fish previously in Ft. Lauderdale, which extended the flybridge enough to hold low profile davit and RIB w/4 stroke (all brand new, never used). Someone beat us to that one.

Speaking of Misty, am I the only one here that was aware of that one ? Interesting story there... 86 year old spry codger started restoration about 5 years ago, worked on it nearly every day (in canal behind his 10,000 sq ft mansion), finished it at age 90 and soon after died ! Wife and daughter just wanted it gone...blocking view, reminded them of him.... sold for $200K about two months ago ! Misty was a 3 stateroom 53 YF and would have worked for us...we were sick about missing that one as it was jaw drop beautiful* and relatively low original engine hours.

*Even though it was under contract when we went aboard there still was an excellent possiblity we could buy it according to listing broker...but that's another story...
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-10-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Re: Want to Buy - Hatteras 53-58 that has been restored, turn key.. yacht or yacht fi

People should be beating your door down any second now. Your problem will be finding one nice enough to justify that kind of money.

Or all the brokers know that's not realistic.

No real serious buyer shows his hand so openly.

I work with customers in that budget range but they do not offer up so much extra so fast.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Your budget should get you a boat like Nightingale. Like Jim said, your biggest problem is going to be finding a 53-58 Hatt that justifies that high of a price. Don't be deterred by high asking prices. As a qualified cash buyer any serious seller should consider your offer. Make an offer based on what you think the boat is worth to you. If the seller disagrees they will counter or decline. Either way no loss on your part. On the other hand, you'd be surprised how many high priced boats end up selling for far less than their ask. You don't want to be the guy saying,"If I knew he would have accepted $xx I would have bought it." Good luck with your search and welcome.
    Jack Sardina

Truly exceptional boats are few and far between. If you find the right one, don't delay. I know of a few stunning examples, sadly not Hatterii.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Hey Hatteras Owners Forum Members!

We need to be shaking the bushes for this guy! I spoke with this super nice gentleman earlier this week. (Where was this guy when I was trying to sell PIZZAZ a couple of years ago)? Or Sea Eric when KISMET the 58LRC was available? AND he's willing to pay a more than fair price for a stunningly loved example of an upstairs "living room" "stand-up engine room" Motor Yacht.

I even e-mailed the guy who bought my 58 PIZZAZ, to inquire if he "might" consider selling. His answer was No.

I have strongly recommended he carefully consider TOP HATT AND TAILS. In my humble opinion, it's probably the most Hatteras for the money available today. The right model year. The right engines. The right hours. The fresh water since new history. New Generator. Where do I stop??? I personally think this would be his most intelligent choice in the marketplace right now. Because of the boat it's reported to be. Everything that's truly nice is suddenly "selling like hotcakes"! The 1990 Galley Up Chris Craft 501 and Sea Eric's 50 Viking listing were both solid examples of a fair pricefor truly nice boats this year.

I'm going on record that I think he would loose the least amount of money over the next 5 years by choosing this possible gem of a 53 Hatteras in Ohio. (Refer to my post from about 3 years ago on "Depreciation").

The point I'm trying to make is this poor guy has already seen and considered so many different boat so far... He simply can't find a the right one. It's too bad so many brokers have no idea what "turn key" and "pristine" truly mean.

...And realistically...the other 2 "near perfect" Hatteras's I'm aware of are worth every penny, but still overpriced for the marketplace. Who's ready to sell to a buyer who will truly appreciate your boat?

THAT- nice boat. Doesn't seem to have an inverter, but that is easily remedied.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

No real serious buyer shows his hand so openly.
    As someone, one of who's businesses was/is buying and selling used CNC machine tools, I'm quite familiar with the concept of "not showing one's hand". But only as it applies to auctions, where the concept is critically important. In a case such as this I see no problem with stating up front how high I can go. If nothing else it might inspire someone who was on the fence about selling to give me a call.

Yes, there is some risk they would up their price some to better match my max but that doesn't mean I will accept that price. Each boat will be reviewed and price offered by me on it's own merits. $285 was simply my max...I'd rather spend $200K or less....like the deal on the 53 YF "Misty" I mentioned. But am willing to go higher if the boat is nice enough.

Bottom line is your statement about "no real serious buyer shows his hand so openly" is flat out wrong, as I'm serious as a heart attack on this. I've already had a contract on one boat, at 1991 Viking 55 MY named Lady Mira in Seabrook, TX. Blew over $2,500 on surveys and travel time on that one...only to find out it needed $80,000 worth of exterior work and nixed the deal when the owner wouldn't budge (about 7 weeks ago).

(btw, the broker for Lady Mira, Texas Power Yachts, is to this day still showing as their main photo a photo that is over 5 years old, and they know it...the listing broker took the photo ! Unfortunately the boat looks very different from that photo today)
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-12-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Your budget should get you a boat like Nightingale.
    FWIW, I called the Nightingale captain last week on the notion that since it has been on the market for some time maybe owner would take $375K. But was told he already turned down somewhat more than that. Wish I had thought to ask when that was, since it might matter if that was a month or a year ago.

An older broker who has been in the business many decades, told me just yesterday that most of the time the first offer a yacht seller gets, ends up being the highest offer he will ever get.

I can believe that, as I've had similar experience selling used machine tools over the years. Many an offer I could kick myself for not taking looking back on it now !
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-12-2015 at 12:22 PM.