Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Anyone has transported a boat from the East to the West coast?

You guys know I'm searching for an early 1970s 53' Hatteras MotorYacht. My budget is up to $120k.

Here on the West coast, there are slim pickings, and the ones available are overpriced, in my humble opinion.

I drool at many of the 53' MY available on the East coast, at very reasonable asking prices. From $79k up to $115k.

I may bite the nail and get one from the East coast, but haven't found a reputable, and safe, transporter. I've contacted the guys that eBay recommends. 2 weeks later I'm still waiting on bids. Does not give me a fuzzy warm feeling.

Long story short, has any of you had experience transporting a similar vessel from the East coast to the West? If yes, how much did it cost you? Any problems, how fast did it arrive, etc?

Thanks,

Douglas

Re: Anyone has transported a boat from the East to the West coast?

There is no easy answer for this question, which has been asked a lot. Now you know how Christopher Columbus felt.

Overland would be very difficult with such a large boat. You might ask Hatteras how they got to the West Coast in the first place- my guess is deck freight through the Panama Canal- but maybe such a boat could go by rail. Certainly delivering it on its own bottom would be very expensive. And you would add huge hours to the total number on the boat. We had a post recently that pointed out that Chris Craft and Roamer used to ship yachts by rail, so that might be a possibility. I don't know if the beam of 53 MYs precludes rail shipping.

You might ask SeaEric on this forum. He has sold a couple of boats to OZ, so he might know something about how they got there. They went as deck cargo on large ships, and he might know the names of the transport companies.

I looked into ocean shipping 5 years ago. It was roughly 1 dollar per pound from S FL to Ensenada, as one port had to be non US due to the Jones Act.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

I got a quote last year from Ft L to Vanc..90c per lb.

Talk to a company like Dockwise. They'll quote you a rate and it's a standard rate which maybe a little more than you want to spend, but then again it may be fine depending on how busy they are. That being said my understanding of how they work is sort of like an airline on their rates. They start a little lower than standard if you book early and the ship is still nearly empty. As the ship fills up the rate starts to climb and if the ship is full with a waiting list the last boat on board will pay the highest per foot or per pound rate. That being said though, if the ship is nearing departure date and it's not full they will reduce the rate drematically just to fill it out. A nearly full ship at a reduced rate is better than a nearly empty ship with high rate yachts on board.

I loaded a 1998 65 Hatteras Conv. heading to Mexico/CA years ago which is still out there and is currently for sale by the way. If I remember correctly the original quote was like $50,000 but the owner wasn't in a hurry so he said he'll just wait it out and see what happens. About a week before the scheduled departure date of that particular ship they called and offered the reduced rate. At first it was like $35,000 and he said he'd look at his schedule and get back with them. Two days later they called back and I think he ended up shipping a 65' boat for like $25,000.

In short I think it's a fluxuating market, so to try to nail down a number is difficult. Maybe call around to get a general idea, then if the numbers work out go find your boat. I would just take your time after the purchase and enjoy the boat in FL for a little while until a deal opens up shipping wise. Just keep in mind if you buy a boat in FL the 90 Day State Sales/Use Tax clock starts ticking unless your in a yard spending money. Then you can get more time to keep it in FL until you have to ship it.

Tony

Thanks guys for the information. I'm getting the feeling it'd be between $50k and up to ship it.

I'd love to navigate her across the Panama canal, but the 4,500 miles from Florida to Los Angeles, would get me about $16,000 on fuel alone (4,500 x 1 gph @ $3.60 per gallon). The food and time I don't mind, I just take it as a vacation. But $16k on fuel? Wow. It maybe less, but who knows, it could be way less on fuel.

Anyone done the Panama Canal crossing (about $2,000 in crossing costs, if I'm not wrong)? If so, how much did fuel cost you from the Gulf Coast to Southern California?

Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    There is no easy answer for this question, which has been asked a lot. Now you know how Christopher Columbus felt.

Overland would be very difficult with such a large boat. You might ask Hatteras how they got to the West Coast in the first place- my guess is deck freight through the Panama Canal- but maybe such a boat could go by rail. Certainly delivering it on its own bottom would be very expensive. And you would add huge hours to the total number on the boat. We had a post recently that pointed out that Chris Craft and Roamer used to ship yachts by rail, so that might be a possibility. I don't know if the beam of 53 MYs precludes rail shipping.

You might ask SeaEric on this forum. He has sold a couple of boats to OZ, so he might know something about how they got there. They went as deck cargo on large ships, and he might know the names of the transport companies.
    Hatteras didn't pick a 15'10" beam without good reason. That reason being the boat can be transported over the highway as the maximum width for such transportation (without VERY expensive permits and restricted highways) is 16'. My guess is they shipped new 53's by truck to the west coast, and I would have to think that would be more cost effective..
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93