Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Anyone has transported a boat from the East to the West coast?

I think you are better off shipping it as deck freight or using Dockwise, if they are still around, and if you want a vacation, see if they have an extra cabin in the ship. Ought to be fun.

I was at Huckins last week and a 58 had arrived from Ca. to Jacksonville Fl. Might call them and get detail's.
    Bob

Hello Bob, I'm quite new to the forum here but I'll throw in my one cents worth, I think the advise about dockwise, expensive but I think the 25k -30k is typical (and there is a couple more cheaper ones...not FO/FO's) but do a search for transport co's..is your best chance, you are going to get some boat ride time anyway because you have to steam to the departure port and you may want to come around to the GOM to leave from (Houston) check out stay aboard w/shore power options and lightering policys and then they will drop you wherever the next destination is for them and your off on your own to homeport. Non-taxed died diesel in Tx is about $2 right now probably true for the gulf states from fl-tx at every shrimp boat dock. put it on the calculator, then go make an offer on the one right down the street from you that you really like,,all they can say is....no! But you might be surprised. oh and by the way I work for the largest rail carrier in the US and I can tell you with 99.999 % certanty it aint going on a flatcar. Best of luck to you.....Capt Georgie "J"

4. Re: Anyone has transported a boat from the East to the West coast?

If you buy a boat in Florida you can keep it there without sales tax due for 180 days. The sale has to be through a licensed dealer who will file a Non Resident Removal Affidavit with the Department of Revenue. The cost is $425 for the decal. If you stay 90 days or less then the cost of the decal is only $20.00
    Without the ability to be flexible for shipping dates costs to load on a ship from South Florida to Ensenada is a little less than $1,000 per foot. A less expensive boat will also cost less as the insurance is less.

Just another FYI. I purchased a 58 Westbay Sonship in Seattle in Dec. of 2013 and Washington allowed us to stay for 45 days without their sales tax liability. We used Raven Yacht Shipping whose head quarters are in Seattle. Rick Gladych is the contact guy. I had heard horror stories about the major shipping companies out of Florida. We moved the boat to Victoria B.C. just before our 45 days were up and finally loaded the boat aboard the ship on Feb. 1, 2014. The loadmasters were employees of Raven and really did a nice job. The boat was off loaded in Ensenada about 3 weeks later. (Ship washeld up in Portland because the Columbia River bar was closed for a week with bad weather. The same loadmasters who loaded the boat were in charge of off loading. Rick's partner was also there. They are present at all on and off loads. They off loaded 3 boats in Ensenada and still had at least 10 more on deck headed for Port Everglades. The total cost including insurance, cradle, on and off load was 30K. I would definitely recommend Raven. Just my 2 cents. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    There is no easy answer for this question, which has been asked a lot. Now you know how Christopher Columbus felt.

Overland would be very difficult with such a large boat. You might ask Hatteras how they got to the West Coast in the first place- my guess is deck freight through the Panama Canal- but maybe such a boat could go by rail. Certainly delivering it on its own bottom would be very expensive. And you would add huge hours to the total number on the boat. We had a post recently that pointed out that Chris Craft and Roamer used to ship yachts by rail, so that might be a possibility. I don't know if the beam of 53 MYs precludes rail shipping.

You might ask SeaEric on this forum. He has sold a couple of boats to OZ, so he might know something about how they got there. They went as deck cargo on large ships, and he might know the names of the transport companies.
    Hatteras didn't pick a 15'10" beam without good reason. That reason being the boat can be transported over the highway as the maximum width for such transportation (without VERY expensive permits and restricted highways) is 16'. My guess is they shipped new 53's by truck to the west coast, and I would have to think that would be more cost effective..
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Hey guys, last week when i need to ship my boat from west to east coast. I saw this thread in my search.

I check your suggestion and it was helpful.
    And after doing further research i transport my boat from Washington using Citizenshipper service which i like it.
    So i think to tell my experience at the place where i start my research.

You can ensure to choose a company that provides accurate insurance for your cargo. In addition, you can also look out for additional coverage the company offers on your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolandbill3 View Post
    Hey guys, last week when i need to ship my boat from west to east coast. I saw this thread in my search.

I check your suggestion and it was helpful.
    And after doing further research i transport my boat from Washington using Citizenshipper service which i like it.
    So i think to tell my experience at the place where i start my research.

You can ensure to choose a company that provides accurate insurance for your cargo. In addition, you can also look out for additional coverage the company offers on your boat.
    Do you have any financial involvement with this company?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay