Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bilge not draining to the bow due to drain tubes under floor being cloged

I have a 1968 twin cabin, 41 ft Hatteras. Have tried snaking out the drain holes that allow the bilge water to flow from the stuffing boxes to the bow bilge pump. They must be plugged with greese,nuts and bolts, and whatever. I can feel my way from the stuffing box chamber forward to under the motors, but then do not know what to do for the next chamber. I assume that all the drains are close to the center of the boat to the left and right of the keel. Any ideas out there. Any kind of degreaser to use? Air pressure? Tried to go forward from the bow area but there seems to be a sharp bend in the drain line. I can not see what is going on under the floor. Thanks for anyone's help.

Re: Bilge not draining to the bow due to drain tubes under floor being cloged

I used Super Clean. It comes in a purple one gallon plastic jug. Some people call it the purple stuff. I sprayed down the bildges, let sit for a week and the oils were turned into a thin light brown liquid that was easily vacumed out. Side note it made the engine rooms smell fresh and clean. Make sure to dilute it. It's very strong on oils but safe on paint and fiberglass. You can find it at most auto parts stores. Bad news it won't help if it is clougged with nuts and bolts. Good luck.

Those drain hoses should have chains thro with a spring on the ends them so you can clear them out.

There are limber holes on the inboard stringers. I think I have basically the same hull and there are holes forward of the ER bulkhead but on the 41 C they are a bear to get to. I made a probe/poker with a 90 degree 6" leg at the end out of a piece of 3/8" copper tube and reached waaaaay back through the galley bilge access hatch and found the holes, rodded them out and the bilges drained. Good luck.