Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What not to do when buying a classic boat

I just thought I would post my thought on what not to do with a older classic boat such as a Hatteras. My daughter, who is a "green" type having a gone to a top northeast university (but she is a Republican so her mother and I did something right) just bought a very nice 40 foot sailboat. It is a classic, a real little gem. The current owner (he has had 3 hulls over the past 3 years) bought this mid 60s boat for 33 k 20 months ago. The broker told him don't put any money in it. The man ( a silicon valley entrepreneur) put 100k in the boat over the past 18 months. My daughter just bought if for $33k cash.

We have seen a few owners on this site take nice Hatteras MYs and put quite a bit of money in them in a refit and get very little if anything back. As I told my daughter, buy a good clean boat with the work all done, negotiate a fair price from a well heeled seller, and then be careful what you do to the boat: don't dump a lot of money in it.

This boat if it were new and still in production would be over $600 k new. I hope she keeps it a while.

Just thought I would remind the members of our site to be careful on what they put into their yachts unless they are willing to keep it a for a number years. In that case, it is a totally different story.

Cheers
    Spin
    Last edited by spindrift; 03-20-2015 at 12:12 AM.

Re: What not to do when buying a classic boat

I'm glad to see that last line there about keeping the boat. Another consideration that some people just can't understand is what I'll call boat zen -- a pleasant state of mind that comes about when doing things with your hands and mind. Not everybody gets it, but for those of us that do it's another reason for not focusing as much on the dollar investment as some. Peace of mind is hard to buy.

I remember being out on a perfect early summer day, varnishing the toe rail on my old Connie. A cruising couple who'd just landed the day before walked by on the dock and the wife said something like "You poor guy. That looks like a lot of work."

I said "You know, I'm actually having fun," and both of them looked at me like I had told 'em I was from Mars.

Last weekend, I was out on my Roamer project boat getting all sorts of stuff done, and I was having a ball. When I look at the ledger, I know that when I eventually sell the boat I'm never going to recover more than a fraction of what I'm into it. But that's OK. A new boat of similar quality would cost many times what I've put into it. I plan to keep her for decades. And I enjoy the work making her pretty again.

Cheers,
    Q

One other thing people do is modify the boats with their own taste or crazy things that don't apeal to anyone but them then think someone is going to pay extra for their abortion.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

You mean like Imron'ing the interior wood paneling?
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    You mean like Imron'ing the interior wood paneling?
    Yeah and mirrors on the ceiling is only good for the Hotel California
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

All excelent points and most here get it. For me I'd love to repower a big Hatt just to make it the way I want it. I also enjoy a big project like that even though I would hire out much of the work. There is a certain satisfaction that comes with knowing things are how you want them. For me most of what I do to my boats is for me not for any thoughts of improving resale or return on capital investment. I'm always amazed at how often I'll see a boat go through an extensive refit/redesign and then it's up for sale a year or two later. 99% of the time the seller is hoping to recoup their investment but eventually have to come to terms with the fact that the $500K refit to their $200K boat won't bring much more than $200K.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    One other thing people do is modify the boats with their own taste or crazy things that don't apeal to anyone but them then think someone is going to pay extra for their abortion.
    There was an exceptional 65C w/MTUs from your area. Boat was spotless and very well cared for. Interior had a lot of custom "upgrades" such as gold satin soft goods, neon accent lights, mirros on bulkheads and overheads, metalic accents etc. Looked like a '70s disco. I'm sure the owner spent a fair amount of $ and all was in exceptional condition, just not a boat I would buy.
    Jack Sardina

I looked at boat with all new decorator cushions and curtians.

The dinette was leopard print. Curtains tiger stripe and zebra accent. It was like a trip back to africa. The owners wife was so proud of it I almost couldn't hold back from laughing.

The work was done well. Too bad the materials were so hard to look at.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I read somewhere that Elvis was a fan of avocado shag carpeting on the wall of some motor yacht. The word "upgrade" is a fluid thing, indeed.

Funny you mention mirrors, the anchor locker bulkhead of my boat was covered in 12X12 mirros when we bought her. Luckily it all came off and cleaned up to the original wood finish. That was 21 years ago.
    Bill