Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: How accurate is NADA boat value on a 1970 53' Motor Yacht

Douglas like found a 1974 53 footer in Redwood City Ca. It's on yacht world for 85,000. From the road it looks really good. Call if you would like to discuss. Rusty 650-619-2308

Douglas, I went on board and it's a little rough. 4000 hours on engines. The broker says the owner wants to sell it fast and will consider lower offers. The brokers name is Whit Newton. The cell number.ber is 650-464-8283. Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Douglas, I went on board and it's a little rough. 4000 hours on engines. The broker says the owner wants to sell it fast and will consider lower offers. The brokers name is Whit Newton. The cell number.ber is 650-464-8283. Rusty
    Rusty, you're the real deal sir! Thank you for keeping an eye out.

I saw the pictures. It seems that she wasn't taken care of these past few years. So sad, when it's more economical to maintain a vessel, than to refurbish later on. What scares me are the engines ($15k each for MOH?) and "the forward head is direct discharge not to the holding tank". I was thinking WTH? Strange.

From your visit, how much do you think it would need, ($$) to bring her up to par with your beautiful boat?

Regards,

Douglas
    310-463-8088

Probably no holding tanks in a 1970. There's none on mine. Just sounds like disclosure on their part.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

The broker said it has blisters on the bottom, how many is unknown. A stripping of the bottom and barrier coat could be 6 to 8k. The hull was painted with the wrong paint and is craz cracking and needs to be stripped. The whole boat repainted 50k. Complete gut of the inside. Looks like she has good bones. If I had the time to do it myself I would offer 35 to 50k tops. It will most likely take 100k to restore her to my liking. That's if you did the interior yourself more if a yard did it. This is just a rough guess on my part. Could be less but most likely not. Call to discuss. Rusty

Rusty, thank you for the information.

I think I'll pass on this one. I don't mind getting a boat that needs minor stuff, but not a major project. I'll get a boat in due time, hopefully sooner than later.

Winter's a coming, more boats should be in the market soon.

Douglas

If you get back to the Bay Area give me a heads up and I'll show you my 53. Good luck.

Oh Douglas. Oh Douglas.

Heed the good advice from those on this website. We are all trying to help you.

First of all, you misheard someone who said $50,000 per engine, not $15,000 to completely overhaul a GM871.

If your heart is set on a 53 Hatteras, you've decided well. An old 53 offers the most home-like livable layout on the water. It's the quintessential quality built American Motor Yacht.

HOWEVER...When you started this, you were wondering about the quoted "value" of the "average" 53. NADA is probably more correct than not. Consider for a moment that the cheap nasty one in Redwood City, is more often than not, the "AVERAGE" 53 still out there. These boats are approaching 50 years old, and half of the owners simply can't afford to OWN them anymore.

Based on what I see regarding West Coast values. The only sensible idea would be to find a nice 53 on the East Coast, and ship it home. Buying a good one will cost you way less than fixing up a rough one. There is no in between. OR shop for something smaller.

Guys, thank you for the comments and advise.

I've learned a lot from you guys and other posts on this forum. I won't buy any Hatteras until I get your approval. 10 heads are better than 1.

Thanks,

Douglas

Hey Douglasl

I was doing a comparison look for something else earlier today, and ran across a boat that might be a good one for you. A distance from you...in San Rafael...but still in California. 1966 47 Chris Craft Commander asking $102,000.
    A 47 Commander gives you a top quality full size flush deck motor yacht and certainly is a "model" you should see. For the market you are shopping in, a clean 47 Commander will give you all the yacht anyone can handle within a budget.
    I know of a super nice once of these for $40,000 less, but it's got an east coast location.