Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: How accurate is NADA boat value on a 1970 53' Motor Yacht

I love NADA for figuring property tax rates.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    I love NADA for figuring property tax rates.
    maybee they will use it to figure the new boat tax for NC yeaha!

I never trust Sold Boat after finding my own boat reported for selling for something like $100,000 more than I paid for it. It's based upon what brokers put in on the honor system, not upon any kind of documentation. If they want to try to up the value of boats, then some brokers may very well over report on a regular basis. Believe in it you want, but I don't based upon what I saw reported compared to what I wrote a check for.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I never trust Sold Boat after finding my own boat reported for selling for something like $100,000 more than I paid for it. It's based upon what brokers put in on the honor system, not upon any kind of documentation. If they want to try to up the value of boats, then some brokers may very well over report on a regular basis. Believe in it you want, but I don't based upon what I saw reported compared to what I wrote a check for.
    Agreed, Not like a state or County Record on a home. Just use it as approximate value.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    It's just reported data and without other pertinent info is only good as a baseline figure. I've found sold boat data to be fairly accurate for the majority of sales. What you don't get is total time on the market, price adjustments or details specific to the sale such as a trade. Discount any sales prices that are the same as the listing price. If a broker doesn't enter a sold price I believe the system will enter the last asking price as the sold price. Most important is the condition and equipment on board. Without first hand knowledge of this it's near impossible to compare value on these old boats.
    Jack Sardina

I've put a lower offer around $40k less. We'll see what the owner says. If they say yes, I'll still have the mechanical and marine surveys to sharpen my pencil, if need be. Of course, if it shows no good and/or owner does not want to reconsider, I can always walk away.

Douglas

Hey Douglas

This is only my opinion. It sounds like you offered $50,000 too much. If the owner doesn't JUMP on it. RUN!!! Don't walk. RUN!!! If he accepts your way more than generous offer, Make sure you hire "real" hull and engine surveyors. Fly them in from a "Hatteras Market" if necessary.

Without seeing the boat and just looking at the pictures, that old 53 looks "nasty". Even if the engines ARE really good, she's still $350,000 away from being a nice boat...after you pay $75,000 for it. Do you realize the paint job alone will set you back about $65,000? Just for paint?

Do you really think an owner who it appears took care of NOTHING...properly maintained the boat's systems and mechanicals in the interim? REALLY??? If your answer is YES...I've got a super deal for you on a piece of Prime Waterfront Property... but we can only go see it at LOW TIDE!!!

There must be a better choice out there in your price range. Please listen to the good advice from the Hatteras Owners Forum members. They are sincerely trying to help you...

Hi Douglas

After my post above, I took a quick look at the West Coast market on Yacht World. I don't understand the way high asking prices out there all of a sudden, except for the fact that there isn't any selection on the West Coast. NONE!

The only boat I saw worth further investigation out there is a 1986 53 DeFever in Seattle asking $239,000. And a 55' Californian Cockpit Motor Yacht in San Diego asking $199,900. The Californian is reported as "pilot owned". (Usually a good indicator a boat WAS maintained). There's also a cheap priced 57 Pacemaker Motor Yacht in San Diego asking $120,000. (too bad it's a 1977 model...those are usually rot boxes, because only the hulls were fiberglass.

You would almost be cheaper off by finding a truly nice Hatteras 53 or similar on the East Coast, priced right, and then shipped (via cargo ship) to California from any major US East Coast port. (Average is about $1100 a foot these days). For $60,000, you'd have a nice boat there for less than the asking prices I'm seeing out there for junkers.

Just because it's the only 53 Hatteras in California doesn't mean you should over pay for it. ...Just food for thought.

Oh...and upon further looking, I missed one.

Check out the 1981 Hatteras 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht (rare model) in Portland Oregon for $159,000 ASK.

It's not a comparable layout to a 53...but what a package! I hate to go by pictures on a Yachtworld listing, but this 48 Hatteras just looks "correct" in so many ways, you almost have to go see it! And with only 1600 hrs on 671Ns??? This might be the only true "value" on the West Coast market today. And It's a Hatteras!

Where else can you find a terrific Waterfront home on the West Coast for $159,000???

Something else to consider...Annual maintenance and ownership costs of a 48 are much less than that of a 10 year older 53. I've done this for so long...I easily over think the subject. Forgive me.

Well? Did you make an offer? Call with questions Rusty