Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: How accurate is NADA boat value on a 1970 53' Motor Yacht

@pizzazsdaddy, thanks for the heads up.

I saw that one. It's a bit quirky inside. Got to go through forward cabin to get to the 2nd head.
    And the aft deck is not enclosed; which is something I like about the Hat 53' MY.

Douglas

Does this mean you want to find a REALLY NICE 53 Hatteras for $100,000??? OUCH... Yea...good luck!

I did think of a possible boat to go see. A 1990 model 52 Californian listed by Chuck Hovey Yachts at Marina Delrey asking $159,000. That might be a boat you need to at least look at because it offers more modern everything.

The boat I don't understand why no one has grabbed yet is the 48" 1981 Hatteras cockpit Motor Yacht named VICISSITUDE, in Portland, OR. In the pictures I see something that might be better than you think. And it's powered by EXTREMELY DESIRABLE GM671N's. What a package! Better yet, the owner has reduced this boat down to $89,900...from $159,000 last year, just to get it sold NOW. It has another plus already being on the West Coast. If this one is nice, it could be a west coast steal for someone.

Yes, VICISSITUDE, in Portland, OR seems like a nice boat. But it's only a 2 cabin.

I'm looking for 3 cabins.

As far as pricing, $100K would be for an early 70s boat. Maybe topping at $120K. Many of the boats on the West coast that sit, they have their own unique situations. Either engines are bad, listing on one side, etc.

I saw a 55' California. Only had one running engine. 3 months later, broker called me saying they had a steal of a deal. $50k to take this beauty. Both engines were bad, they would not allow a surveyor to run the engines, and it was listing on one side. 2 out of 3 ain't bad, at least she hadn't sunk yet. But that's the extremes. Most boats are nice, but are being sold because they need major TLC, whether it's electronics, galley, windows leaking (most of them), teak/wood outside or inside, and the usual MOH on engines. And, the usual dreaded ones that have a jungle growing underneath the hull. And broker says "owner has been in town in the past 2 months". Really?! More like it hasn't been cleaned in 8 months to 1 year. I lived and had boats in Florida. Boats don't get like that in Florida even after 3 months.

Others, like the California you mentioned, the sellers are more like "give me what I want, or I won't sell it". Of course, the price is a bit high compared to what needs to be done to the inside. Not to mention the outside. I understand that there are some sellers that aren't really ready to sell.

I've seen other great deals on larger boats, but the problem then becomes getting a slip for it. Southern California is tight on large vessel slips. And if you do find them, rent will put you back $3k-$4k a month on the regular marinas. Way higher for the nicer ones.

Maybe the reason most of the boats you're seeing are junkers, is because you've backed yourself into a Price Point where the only remaining boats available ARE junkers? Have you considered this a possibility?

If you think about it...That cheap and rough 53 out there, might be for YOU... IF you're owning it for around $50K. By the time you realize what you've done...you aren't far enough into it to loose too much more money... And remember, you've got to get a boat through survey in order to get insurance. At most nicer marinas, you need insurance to get dockage...

Check out the 53' Chris Craft Aluminum Roamer asking $165,000 in San Diego. On Yachtworld. It's actually not a 53 footer as listed...but a 55' Roamer model. Should be 3 staterooms. No interior pictures but the outside looks pretty good in the photos. 871Ns...And someone spent a ton of money installing euro-style swim platform steps into the transom without changing the boat's profile. (Super Clever). An extra beamy model too. She might be a pleasant surprise. Considering your marketplace, it's one you probably need to go look at.

Based on what you say in your post about dockage prices, that 2 stateroom 48 Hatteras in Portland might be the SMARTEST boat of the bunch, and with an owner who's ready to SELL. Unless you have 4 kids living on board with you, NOBODY NEEDS 3 staterooms!

@pizzazsdaddy,

You may be right. A few years ago I was seeing late 70s Hats at around my pricing. Seems that with the economy getting better, prices have gone up too.

I do look at boat prices up to $159,000 knowing that there will be a bit of wiggle room there. It's not that I'm looking at $120K prices and under. $120K is what I'm willing to invest and feel OK with a boat. As we all know, boats are an investment, and even if it comes out being a really bad boat (even with surveys), I won't break the bank and go homeless.

Douglas

You may want to look at a Chris Craft 501.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    You may want to look at a Chris Craft 501.
    Eric, what is your opinion overall on a Chris Craft 501 compared to the 53 ED?

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    Eric, what is your opinion overall on a Chris Craft 501 compared to the 53 ED?
    I like the 501 for the $$. It's nice to have a full beam engine room between the master and guest. It's a way simpler boat to own than a 53. It's just not as pretty.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Hey Sea Eric, Douglasl, and Tom

A Chris Craft 501 would be the PERFECT boat for this guy if there were any on the West Coast. However...Even a 501 won't fall into his price range out there. Nor would a 48 or 53 Ocean, 50 or 55 Viking, or any version of the Hatteras 53. These were the only major boat models built with a similar 3 stateroom layout and an on deck salon along with stand up engine rooms.

I think the point Doug is missing is that the PRICES HAVEN'T CHANGED. When he started studying this a couple of years ago, there were simply more "available" nasty 1978s for $139,000 ask. A truly Exceptional "factory new" Hatteras 53 will always be worth $225-$250,000. And that's what it's going to cost you to buy one. Nasty ones start at $0. The question Sea Eric can answer... How much is a nice clean 53 that is survey correct going for these days? The "average distressed" boat shouldn't be part of the equation. Just the good ones. How Much???

And Tom...if you don't mind me chiming-in. A Chris Craft 501 doesn't come close to a 53 Hatteras, but remember, both boats were designed and built a generation apart. In my humble opinion, "the 501 is no Hatteras, but it ain't bad"!!! Personally, I like the 501. From a comfort standpoint, the layout blows away a Hatteras 53ED. Even better if you can find a rare 501 with Galley-Up. Created from the original Pacemaker/Uniflite molds. The 501 has a single stand-in engine room that completely separates the master stateroom from the guests. Plus the 501 VIP stateroom almost makes the 53 VIP part of an era gone by.

I hope Douglas doesn't mind us veering off topic on the 501. Thanks Eric and Pizzazz for your input.