Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1980's vintage tank level guages

I have a nonfunctioning water tank gauge in Blue Note which I can't get out. The top of the gauge is an EIGHT-sided nut, which I have been unable to find a socket that fits on. If anyone has run into this particular issue and has the socket, I'll buy it or rent it. We have tried everything to get the thing loose and can't. I have a brand-new gauge unit ready to go in if I can ever get the SOB out of there. There is no tool we haven't tried- except, of course, the right one.

How about a huge open-end wrench? Or, and I assume you've tried this, a pipe wrench. You probably have issues with access, so maybe that type of wrench won't work for you. Just a thought.

I bought a 2-3/8" open end on ebay for my prop nuts. It's a monster to handle, but it sure is nice to have the right tool.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I went down this road a few months back. I too had a non-functioning water tank gauge/sender and I tried everything to get it loose with no luck. Then a light bulb went off! I abandoned the old sender and added a new electriconic one right next to it. Gaffrig/Lavorsi makes a water tank specific sender AND gauge setup for under a hundred bucks and only requires a 5/8" hole. I like the simplicity of mechanical gauges but this has no moving parts and is made from PVC and stainless. Time will tell but so far so good.

Hmmm! It looks like there are a number of options for these guages. After reading your responses, I went back and checked again. They are actually bronze, not plastic as I orginally thought. And if a socket were used, they'd require one that is 2-3/8 inches (measured between flats on the sides of the hex). In view of the torque that seems to be necessary to remove them, I'd really like to use a socket if I could find one. The Craftsman line at Sears doesn't seem to go that large nor have I been able to find anything elsewhere. Do any of you know where I could pruchase a 2-3/8 in. socket for a 1/2" drive?

By the way, I truly appreciate everyone's input and guidence.

Thanks - Will

I found a socket to fit my gauge nut at Pep Boys auto store. It was not your high quality socket but maybe made for front wheel nuts or something. Anyway it had a half inch square drive so it fit my socket wrench and it only cost about $5 or $6. At Sears they had them for about $50. Did the job, I did both my fuel gauges. Took them out cleaned them up and they work great.

My local Sears stocks up to a 2-3/8" socket, but it is for a 3/4" drive. You can either buy the rachet too or get an adapter. You could also get one at Grainger or online. You don't need the expensive one, though, since it will get little use. I think the Sear socket is about $25, but you can find them for as little as about $9 online (cheap china stuff but okay for this job)
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

SkyCheney mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I used a10" or 12" pipe wrench to get mine loose. It was tight, but I just needed enough room to get a good grip on it and move it about 1/4 turn to get it loose .....

Bernie

I got the good Craftsman socket and the 3/4 inch Craftsman 18" long socket handle (not a ratchet wrench, just a socket drive handle). I also use it with a pipe extension breaker bar for prop nuts because it's the same socket! The 1/2" drive or a ratchet wrench won't take that kind of torque.

Doug

Why all the trouble - just take something and tap on the gauge it's not that big of a problem
    Tom

Jim,
    I have the socket and 3/4 inch drive on Waveaway here in D.C...bought it at Sears after the same problem two years ago. In fact, my broker in Annapolis has borrowed it twice for same problem on other Hats. I am going to Annapolis this weekend to "shop"; be glad to drop it by if you have not found another solution by then. Let me know...and thanks for the great post on the medicine thread!!
    George