Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Rayline Searchlight Parts

I took my 10" Rayline Searchlight (Model 41120-1021) off the boat on the weekend to get it ready for re-chroming. Somewhere along the line I lost the plastic pinion gear that sits on the yoke, that adjusts the tilt of the light.
    I've sent L.B. Harvey an e-mail asking about a spare part, but they never replied. So I phoned them and got a relatively cool reception and was told, they only rebuild lights and only sell the small parts such as o-rings etc. In other words, they were no help at all and I can't believe they wouldn't have a part like that laying around, even if it was used.
    In any case, I've read a lot of threads here on these lights and some would lead me to believe that perhaps someone might have some spare parts and if so, I'd be eternally grateful if you would be willing to sell it.
    I think this would be a good time to have one of those new 3D printers to re-create this part.
    Attached is a pic of the part I need.

Pinion Gear.jpg
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Re: Rayline Searchlight Parts

Staples will do 3D printing in their stores. Don't know what selection of plastics they use but probably worth a drive to check it out. I would use them to have a trim ring made for my forward hatch but it is too big for their printers

A few years ago, I bought a spotlight here just for this reason. I now have spare parts.

LB Harvey has figured out that they can make more by only "rebuilding" these lights. They charge thousands, but it is still cheaper than buying a Carlisle & Finch light for $10,000.

If you want the gear that I have, I will let you use it for a template to have one made, but I want it back. Send me a PM if interested.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have a couple lights . One is in good shape with good chrome and was in good working cond when removed from a 53 Hatt. It has the power supply for 32 volt or remove the supply for 12 volt.

If anyone is interested, I will get it down and dust it off.

How much for one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    I have a couple lights . One is in good shape with good chrome and was in good working cond when removed from a 53 Hatt. It has the power supply for 32 volt or remove the supply for 12 volt.

If anyone is interested, I will get it down and dust it off.
    I guess I should have been more specific. How much are you asking for one of your spotlights? Mine is cosmetically perfect, but I have an issue with either the drive motors or the linkage.

Thank you..

Worth a shot to check if Grainger or McMaster has a replacement gear based on measurements.

DAN

I called LB Harvey looking for a part, too, and got the same blow-off. They will rebuild your light and have the parts to do it, but they won't sell you a part, not even a stinking two-cent compression washer. I guess that how they are keeping that market all to themselves.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post

If you want the gear that I have, I will let you use it for a template to have one made, but I want it back. Send me a PM if interested.

Sky
    Thank you very much for the offer. However, I did get back to the boat today and found my missing gear. All is good in the Hatteras world..
    So now I'm ready to get the light re-chromed. I saw the pics of your re-chromed light, which turned out fantastic. Would be interested in finding out who did that for you. I'm also looking for a parts list and wiring diagram for model 41120-1021. My documentation only shows the light and the interconnecting cables between the 2 remote controllers.
    Thanks again
    Gary
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Gary, glad you found the missing piece.

Good chroming is getting more and more difficult to find. You might try Royal Silver, in Norfolk, VA. There are also supposed to be some plating shops in TX that do a good job. The plating industry isn't as big as it used to be. Also look in Hemmings' Motor News (the print copy, not on line) and you can find ads for plating companies- most of them do very good work.