Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rub Rail Screw water problems? Thinking of using a rubber grommet.

Since I'm working on my rub rails I'm thinking about using a rubber grommet between the screw and the stainless steel rail. What do you think? I think it would seal out the water problem better than calking.

Re: Rub Rail Screw water problems? Thinking of using a rubber grommet.

Caulk it on because you need to stop the water from running behind the stainless, not just sealing the screws. Just make sure you don't use 5200 or similar product that won't allow easy removal in the future. I like Sika 291, 3m's 4200, or the old stand by Dolfinite bedding compound If any of the screw holes are lose this would be a good time to inject some thickened epoxy or glue a plug in, a piece of tape over the hole will stop the epoxy from making a mess.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I know a lot of folks don't like 5200 much but it's the only thing I use for that application (or any through-hull application). It is not difficult to remove a screw from 5200 - it just unscrews. I used it on all 200+ screws in the flybridge and all the various screws/fittings that hold things to the flybridge deck - davit bolts, dingy rack bolts, antennas, etc. I have removed many of them to change/relocate hardware and there is no problem unscrewing from 5200 IF you use an electric driver. By hand…well, that DOES get pretty tiresome.

I will readily admit that Hatt used 5200 in places on our 53 that although it worked perfectly for 30+ years, it is a real BEAR to remove…like around hoses going between bulkheads I don't use it for that when replacing hoses.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I know a lot of folks don't like 5200 much but it's the only thing I use for that application (or any through-hull application). It is not difficult to remove a screw from 5200 - it just unscrews. I used it on all 200+ screws in the flybridge and all the various screws/fittings that hold things to the flybridge deck - davit bolts, dingy rack bolts, antennas, etc. I have removed many of them to change/relocate hardware and there is no problem unscrewing from 5200 IF you use an electric driver. By hand…well, that DOES get pretty tiresome.

I will readily admit that Hatt used 5200 in places on our 53 that although it worked perfectly for 30+ years, it is a real BEAR to remove…like around hoses going between bulkheads I don't use it for that when replacing hoses.
    Mike, I think Cricket was suggesting caulking the entire rub rail to seal the deck/hull joint. In this case, future removal of the rail would be a real chore if 3M 5200 was used.

Bobk

Sorry, I misunderstood - I was thinking it was about bedding the screws. I agree that I would not use 5200 to "caulk" the rail to the boat!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

The old 50's have laminated wood rails with solid SS rail screwed on, that's why I think it's important to make sure everything is sealed.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I am already using clalking 4200 right next to the stainless rail as well. Heading there now to work on it Ill take some pictures to show you what I mean and try to post some tonight.
    Last edited by 1966 Contagious; 02-11-2015 at 11:48 AM.

I decided to just use calking. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Make sure the screws are not stripped in the wood. I have a 12' section of that rail laying somewhere in a couple hundered feet of water
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Most of the screw holes are in great shape. Plan to take all of them out on the Starboard side today and epoxy the ones that are loose and calk behind the head. Here is a close up of the before/ calking next to the stainless rub rail. If you want to see more finished photos of the boat look under my other post help hubby thinks I'm taking in too big of a project in my other thread.
    Attached Images