Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Help painting the hull mistake? Hubby might kill me that I'm taking on too much!

This all sounds like good advice! I will be there today and take photos so you can see there's not much sanded. I have NOT gone over the whole Hull with 100 grit so let's make that clear. Just a SMALL FEW spots. Now since I have the whole rest of the boat left to sand lets say 48' of my 50' boat I need to in order 1. Clean and degrease just the areas that need epoxy filled and rub rails 2. Fill and epoxy sanded hull and any of the rub rails 3. Sand epoxy 4. Clean and degrease the Whole boat. 5. Use a dewaxer recommended by the paint Company 6. Sand the boat company recommended use a 3m pad as a sander. 5. tack cloth to get the lightly sand off. 6. Paint

Re: Help painting the hull mistake? Hubby might kill me that I'm taking on too much!

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 Contagious View Post
    Yes but she is not a toolmom : ) And has a boyfriend : )
    send both of them

Welcome to the world of great vintage boats! My wife and I own a 1965 50MY, I would love to share so ideas. I sent you a PM.

Rob

If I was going to the trouble of prepping a hull for paint, I wouldn't use a one-part poly on it. That stuff just doesn't last. I used to use it all the time on my wooden boat, but the paint only lasted three years anyway so it didn't matter if the shine was gone in two.

Could you maybe post some pix of the areas where you sanded with 100 grit? Any "before" pix? Depending on the condition of the surface, 100 grit might have been the right choice for the first pass.

Here are the pictures. I first cleaned well with a solvent the area to be filled with the proper epoxy from Pettit paint. The good news is the prior paint was interlux very similar so Ive read. Im pretty confident I can just patch and touch up the areas needed. I just really need to concentrate on getting the starboard side done because I can do the rest when it gets back in the water if I need to. The best part is they only call for cleaning with part ammonia and water then sand, tac cloth and then use the solvent to clean. I got most of the patching done yesterday and today I'm having a scissor jack delivered to getto the high spots. I know the boat looks good from a distance but the top and bottom rub rails I was really concerned along with the calking around the port windows needed done. I did a few of the starboard side ones this fall. I will take close ups today of the cruddy rub rail job the previous owner did.

IMG_444004919.JPGIMG_444004911.JPGIMG_444003427.JPG

I agree about not using a one-part paint. I don't think it's going to last very long at the waterline. Plus you need to repaint part of the boot stripe. I think you need a two-part paint for that. Like AwlGrip.

Quote Originally Posted by quincyscuba View Post
    Welcome to the world of great vintage boats! My wife and I own a 1965 50MY, I would love to share so ideas. I sent you a PM.

Rob
    I just got some of the pictures in my album before the remodel if your interested. I will try to get some of the after ones in there some time soon.
    Last edited by 1966 Contagious; 01-27-2015 at 11:00 AM.

IMG_2506.jpgIMG_2507.jpgIMG_2505.jpg
    These are some of what the rub rails look like.

What is your timeline/deadline to get back in the water? I'm a little confused with what you think the hull is currently painted with; 1 part paint or a 2 part paint?
    You're looking at 2 super huge projects between the rub and bumper rails and painting the hull, especially for 1 person without a lot of experience.
    The only way to fix the rub and bumper rails so there won't be any issues for a long time is to remove the stainless, strip them to bare wood, repair/replace any rot, coat them out with epoxy and then start the priming and painting process. Or, remove them and replace with vinyl/pvc or aluminum rails which is probably an even bigger and more costly job. We replaced our wood rails with vinyl/pvc over 28 years ago when we first painted our 50c and have done zero maintenance except buffing the stainless rail. Our bumper rail is fiberglass that we got from Slane, a great piece and pretty easy install.
    The bubbling on the hull around the water line is pretty common on many of the very old Hat hulls. Think the paint is lifting from behind because some of the fillers or primers on the hull have absorbed moisture over time which causes them to lift or bubble. If it was me I would just try to get the bad spots feathered in, sealed up with something 2 part and then spot painted. If you really want to paint the entire hull you're probably going to need some reinforcements on the labor front. Good luck, keep asking questions.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I'm with Cricket- we did our rub rails in that way also. Hard to tell from the pics, but does your entire hull REALLY neat to be re-painted? Have you tried to buff it out? You mentioned chalking- it's amazing what we did with our hull with 3M compound (I think it was the restorer kind) and a buffer. I would repair and match the really bad spots and rub rails, then buff the rest of the boat.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY