Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: Help painting the hull mistake? Hubby might kill me that I'm taking on too much!

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 Contagious View Post
    Hmm how much is yard labor in Seattle an hour I'll charge 1/2 and maybe bunk out in your boat.
    They're all over the board in Seattle from $75 to $125/hr it seems. I'm due for bottom paint but need to strip it down and start new. Too many layers of old paint at this point. I have quotes from $8k - $12k to strip and repaint. Sure makes it appealing to do it myself if I could afford the time.
    Ryan Maloney
    "Branwyn" - 62' MY (53' stretch)
    Seattle, WA

Re: Help painting the hull mistake? Hubby might kill me that I'm taking on too much!

Quote Originally Posted by branwyn View Post
    They're all over the board in Seattle from $75 to $125/hr it seems. I'm due for bottom paint but need to strip it down and start new. Too many layers of old paint at this point. I have quotes from $8k - $12k to strip and repaint. Sure makes it appealing to do it myself if I could afford the time.
    Do the math.

Bottom painting on a clean prepped hull is about $40-$45/foot.

Sand blasting the old paint off can take a few days or so at $100/hour

Patching, grinding blisters and resurfacing depending on how bad it is $2-3000.

Barrier coat $50/foot.

All the poisons from the paint and chemical on you, your clothes ... Priceless.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    By then I might be retired, I'll roll and tip it for you.
    send picks agree Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Do the math.

Bottom painting on a clean prepped hull is about $40-$45/foot.

Sand blasting the old paint off can take a few days or so at $100/hour

Patching, grinding blisters and resurfacing depending on how bad it is $2-3000.

Barrier coat $50/foot.

All the poisons from the paint and chemical on you, your clothes ... Priceless.
    You're not wrong Scott, there is value in having a yard do the work especially for the health reasons. That and I have enough projects that I would enjoy more than bottom paint. But there is something to be said about doing it yourself too. Pick your battles...
    Ryan Maloney
    "Branwyn" - 62' MY (53' stretch)
    Seattle, WA

Yea sandblast and stripping sounds time summing. Mine was not that needed, plus I'm really sore and tired! But remember the Canadian dollar Is worth more today I have met several people that have gone to Canada to have it done.