Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil Temperature on 12v71n's

What is the ideal operating oil temperature on 12v71n's?

When out fishing my Port engine shows an average of 190 degrees at 1000 to 1200 rpm and 210 degrees at 1700 rpm.

However the Starboard runs at 200 degrees at 1000 to 1200 rpm and what concerns me is that on the way back home, after 8 or 10 hours fishing, I will throttle up to 1700 rpm and as high as 2100 rpm for a short 5 minutes) and the temp rises quickly from 210 to 225 even 230.

Oil pressure are good.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Oil Temperature on 12v71n's

I don't even have oil temp gauges.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Is it tramsmission Temp? I have manual gages in the engine room and i have transmission temp but no engine oil temp. I am kinda like Scott on this one i anit gotta them. However mine are 892.
    What is the water temp doing I would belive it to be right along with oil temp or closs strange at best.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-02-2015 at 10:43 AM.

I have only owned one vehicle - a car - that had an engine oil temp gauge and the owners' manual stated that if the oil temp exceeded 240F you should slow down. I don't think I ever saw it above maybe 210. I know that doesn't answer your specific question but I can't see why the temp limit (240 F) wouldn't be a reasonable number regardless of the engine.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I have only owned one vehicle - a car - that had an engine oil temp gauge and the owners' manual stated that if the oil temp exceeded 240F you should slow down. I don't think I ever saw it above maybe 210. I know that doesn't answer your specific question but I can't see why the temp limit (240 F) wouldn't be a reasonable number regardless of the engine.
    Wonder at what temp the oil brakes down going to google it.

found out 300 degrese seem to be the majic number but each oil is diffrent by a small marjan
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-02-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Is this OIL temperature or WATER temperature? If it's water temp, it sounds too high. If it's oil temp, it sounds okay- but I've never seen these engines instrumented for oil temperature.

(The only thing I've seen instrumented for oil temp is race cars, or high-performance sports cars, like a Ferrari I had years ago. I've never seen it on marine engines, although there's plenty in life I haven't seen. My Cobra has a setup for engine oil temp- the gauge is in there and it's wired in- but we've never put the sending unit into the oil pan to activate it.)

When I do engine checks under way I use a handheld infrared thermometer. I check water temp (180 F), oil temp (200 F) at the filter and transmission housing temp (200 F). They do not vary much with RPMs but I only run 1500 rpms on 6-71Ns. I also check each cylinder exhaust port on the manifold to make sure there are no slackers. All 12 run pretty close to the same temp within 10 degrees.
    Skooch
    58 LRC
    Fort Pierce FL

In my experience in racing and having an oil co as a sponsor their answer was "anything less that 260 F is fine,280 and above the oil starts to break down. They did not even want me near their testing process I just sent them samples.

My concern would be the "spread" between the water and oil temp. The normal temp spread is usually 20-40 degrees. If you spread is more than that I would be looking at the oil cooler for restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    Is it tramsmission Temp? I have manual gages in the engine room and i have transmission temp but no engine oil temp. I am kinda like Scott on this one i anit gotta them. However mine are 892.
    What is the water temp doing I would belive it to be right along with oil temp or closs strange at best.
    Hi Tim,
    This is the engine oil temp.
    Water temp is good on both engines.
    cheers,
    Jasper

Swap sides with the gauges to see is it is a gauge difference although it could be the sender.

Phil