Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Looking to buy a boat in next few years,mostly for loop and coastal cruising

I have been a Hatteras fan for almost 40 years now. Fist one I saw was a 48 lrc when I was about 10 years old.

I would like to buy a cruiser in the next few years. I have not looked at any in person. I like Grand Banks, they have reasonable prices, good fuel economy, but might not offer enough space. Most of the time it will be a family of four with 2 small dogs, but possibly nephews and nieces and in-laws coming along for a long weekend.

I like the 53my/58yf for the spacious salon with openness to the helm, looks like they can sleep 8 with a sleeper sofa added.

I really like the 58/65 lrc for displacement cruising with better economy. But they seem to be listed for much higher prices.

I would probably keep the boat for about 10 years, then convert to RVing full time.

So, what are your inputs on this? A 53/58 with big detroits would use more fuel, but even at hull speed, would I be any better off with an LRC to offset purchase price?
    In the next 7-8 years we would be mostly sticking to long weekend cruising and would give me time to work on a boat that is not turn key. I can do all the work myself, except for majors on the engines.
    Then we would do the great loop, mostly as a couple, but with visitors on occasion. Also would like to hang around the Bahamas/Caribbean for some time. And if we love it and time permits, a cruise to Alaska.

For those of you that have bought with my same intentions, what did you end up going with and do you still have the same boat? Hatteras or Grand Banks?
    Thanks for any input,
    Ron

Re: Looking to buy a boat in next few years,mostly for loop and coastal cruising

If you going to do the Loop, you need to be concerned with air hight. I like the Hatteras LRC. I have been impressed with the fuel burn and function. I also like the 54 Defever which you can buy cheaper. Speed is not really important since you will be going slow mostly. A few spots you can open it up, but mostly hull speed or under. Visit the Loopers web site to get lots of info. Its hard to buy a boat that does everything perfect. Its all a give and take thing. I still like the 48-54ish hat LRC.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Re: Looking to buy a boat in next few years,mostly for loop and coastal cruising

Hmmm.....lets see. Come to the Hatteras owners site and ask if you should buy a Hatteras or a Grand Banks. What kind of answer do you think you will get?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Bird, where are you? Paging The Bird...

Moved to Sandbar, from Feedback. Thanks Scrod.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You rang? I think Sky summed things up pretty well. I'm just trying to figure out why Derek was cruising month old threads that were posted in the wrong place.

Anything else you need while I'm here?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

It probably got moved to the top when magnawake responded to it.

I saw something, I said something.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    It probably got moved to the top when magnawake responded to it.

I saw something, I said something.
    schultz.jpg
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    It just occurred to me that you may think I still have my 58. Maybe you should use that last pic I posted as an avatar.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93