Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New electronics

New electronics

We are considering adding AIS, Auto Pilot and Radar. Does not look like the boat has ever had any of these. Platform is 79 43DC Garmin 4212 at main helm 4208 on FB Raymarine depthfinder all less than 2 years old. installed NMEA 2000.

Questions are:

What brand and estimated price?

Reason for selection?

Our plan is for a hinged arch so we can clear the loop bridge.

Suggestions?

Many thanks!

Becky and Russ

Re: New electronics

Just a couple of thoughts which many will probably take exception to. Autopilot is a BIG workload saver, so yes. Unless you're doing offshore at night or in very foul weather, I think your money would be better spent on something else other than radar or AIS.
    I await the bloodletting.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Hi Greg!

We are planning on adding all three. Our dilemma has been what brands and why? I personally have found it almost impossible to get a price for the equipment from the manufacturer. I see prices for units not systems with few exceptions.

The one we are struggling with is radar. We are NOT an all weather or regular night operation (only in known familiar waters)

Our travels will be close in or ditch daylight operation.

I have a Garmin 740S Chart Plotter with a plug and play transducer for depth. Bought for size to fit in the overhead console and price was right as a new replacement model was coming out. Only bad thing is it is not network-able. Not an issue for me as I have only one helm. I found that the small depth readout in the corner was not prominent enough for my near senior citizen eyes, so I added a GMI 10 display unit which is plug and play on the NEMA to display only the depth. I have the Garmin GHC 10 Auto-Pilot with the "Smart Pump" and I can't say enough good about it. It's wonderful. If you do the Garmin AP make sure you get the "rudder feedback" sensor. They say its optional - It's NOT. You need it and it also provides rudder angle indication on the GHC 10 display. I have the wireless remote. Makes me feel like a big shot. I do not have radar, but if I did I would get the GMR 18 HD which is plug and play. I'm very pleased with the Garmin stuff. It works good and was easy to learn and use. I have about $800 in the 740S, bought on a close out sale. The transducer is the type that's glued inside the hull. Works perfectly and it was cheap. GHC 10 was bought used from an installer for $150. Install on those was simple. The auto pilot was about $4,500 in hardware and the professional install was around $2,000. on my boat. The AP has to be by the book as to power supply, etc. It's not for the do-it-yourselfer. If I wanted the HD radar scanner I think its around $1,100. Again, its plug and play. I don't know about AIS but I think I read somewhere that a phone app, tablet or Ipad can do that if you think it's important.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaEric; 12-12-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I have Raymarine. You need a PhD to operate it. A friend just installed Garmin 15" touchscreens with digital radar and sonar and it is phenomenal! The technology is far superior and cost is lower than ever.

Consider going to a local boat show to get pricing.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

If you are tying these into your existing Garmin units, it seems the most logical answer would be to go with all Garmin. I have the same two Garmin plotters, but my Radar and AP are older. I will never get rid of my old color Furuno radar until it dies. I love that thing. And, BTW, I still think radar is the most important piece of equipment on the boat after the compass.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

No direct experience with agar in but based on what you have is go with a Garmin package. AIS is a great piece of equipment particularly if you often run in busy commercial waters. Radar is a must for me. The new HD domes are very good and would be a good choice for the way you boat.
    Jack Sardina

Since you are committed and it is just a matter of brand, my opinions are the radar and AIS are garmin because they most easily tie into your existing backbone and screens. Others may disagree as some folks like the redundancy of a separate screen.

I think the open issue for me would be autopilot. If I were in your shoes, installing it where nothing exists, I would feel a strong tug to go Garmin across the board. That said, I have never owned a vessel of any size Without a Simrad/Robertson autopilot and absolutely swear by them.
    Shawn
    58 MY

The Garmin autopilot is actually the (more developed) TRS-1 Gladiator, which came out several years ago. It was so much better than anything else made at the time that Garmin bought the entire company and their patents in order to get the autopilot as intellectual property. Time has shown the wisdom of that acquisition, as everyone I know who has the autopilot has raved about how good it is. Since you already have Garmin units, I would go with their autopilot.

I have Northstar navigation gear on my boat, but when I can no longer get it repaired and have to replace it, the replacement will be Garmin, unless (not likely) someone has come out with something better. Of the brands out now (Furuno, Raymarine, Simrad, and Garmin) Garmin seems the easiest to use, the best value, and the most popular. The others are good, but Garmin would get my vote. I am still disgusted with Simrad for buying the Northstar company and then pulling the plug on the Northstar brand. Northstar deserved better.

10. Re: New electronics

I'd stay w/all Garmin. IMHO, AIS is important enough that I'd chose it over radar, especially if most of your running is rivers or ICWW. For the Loop, I'd say it is a must have. That said, for the relatively minor (in boating terms) cost of the radar, I can't imagine why you wouldn't add both while doing this upgrade.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine