Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Lazy Here

Cool Being Lazy Here

Can any past Looper tell me the approment distance from Panama City to Fort Meyers by way of the Big Bend?Thinking of going there next.Any suggestions of basic Marinas would be nice.
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Re: Being Lazy Here

From Carabelle to Clearwater straight across was about 170 miles as I recall. Watch for crab pots!

We did Clearwater to Carrabelle 2 years ago. It was 170 statute miles across.

Coming north, we stayed at Clearwater Beach Marina in Clearwater, Twin Dolphin Marina in Bradenton, Crows Nest Marina in Venice and the City of Ft. Meyers Marina.

Going into Tarpon Springs would be a little shorter.

I think you can make some shorter hops around the bend if your draft will let you. I knew we couldn't get into some of those places, so I didn't really research it.
    Blaine
    1992 43C - "Journey"
    Pace, FL

It never made sense to me to do the bend.
    It is about 153 NM from Appalachicola to Johns Pass.
    Why go way east only to end up 20 miles north at Clearwater?

The apalachicola inlet is virtually un-usable in anything over 3.5' draft. I just was up there and told not to go anywhere near it since there has been a lot of shoaling.

We ran from Apalachicola through St George sound to East Pass near Carabelle leaving at 3 A.M. We then set out into the gulf and crossed to Clearwater arriving around 6:15 P.M. I would rather arrive before dark or at least before pitch black since everyone above is 100% correct about it being crab pot city.

We then ran the ditch all to Sarasota, and then finally to Legacy Harbour.
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

I did not know it had shoaled so badly it has been a few years. Unless the weather was real bad I would have gone Clearwater to Boca Grande. It is a 13 hour trip doing the ditch. You went by my house going through Madeira Beach.
    Last edited by captddis; 12-11-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Well, if you're being lazy, just start at the end and read your way forward for a reverse route.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...nd-ready-to-go

Seriously, unless you're in a hurry to get to Fort Myers and/or want to do something different, seems to me like it would be to your advantage to run where you have some familiarity. I can't really see you wanting to run at night, and that's pretty much what you're going to have to do unless you want to spend the $$$ to get her up on plane and do a more direct route. Even then, you're going to be running in the dark at one end or the other this time of year. I think Brenda would enjoy seeing what you and I saw on your first trip.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Well, if you're being lazy, just start at the end and read your way forward for a reverse route.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...nd-ready-to-go

Seriously, unless you're in a hurry to get to Fort Myers and/or want to do something different, seems to me like it would be to your advantage to run where you have some familiarity. I can't really see you wanting to run at night, and that's pretty much what you're going to have to do unless you want to spend the $$$ to get her up on plane and do a more direct route. Even then, you're going to be running in the dark at one end or the other this time of year. I think Brenda would enjoy seeing what you and I saw on your first trip.
    If it's only 170 statute miles why can't he make the run? That would be about 148NM. I'd think he'd be able to cruise easily and efficiently at 17kts with those Cats. That would be less than 8 hours. Bump her up a bit faster and he can be there in less than 8 hours. How fast can he run?
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    If it's only 170 statute miles why can't he make the run? That would be about 148NM. I'd think he'd be able to cruise easily and efficiently at 17kts with those Cats. That would be less than 8 hours. Bump her up a bit faster and he can be there in less than 8 hours. How fast can he run?
    I'd have to go back and look at that same thread as I honestly don't remember how fast the boat will cruise. Bottom line is, he will use a LOT more fuel running a fast, direct route than he will use taking the route we went. Then comes the fact he's in Panama City, not Carrabelle, and there's just not a whole lot to see out in the Gulf.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

10. Re: Being Lazy Here

I can't really tell what you are asking, but if the question is "what is the best way to get from PC to FM?" then the quick answer is PC to Carrabelle via the GICWW, then a straight shot across to Clearwater [my preference] or to Tarpon Springs. Then using the ICWW to FM. The only challenging portion is the hop across the Gulf, which can be done safely and easily if you wait for the right weather window. This time of year, some of the trip will be in darkness regardless of how fast you run. On an older boat like yours and mine, I don't want to push her hard, so I plan on an overnight run with arrival offshore Clearwater in the morning so that I can see my way through the pots.

OTOH, if your question is "Straight shot across the Gulf, or hopping along the Bend?" then my response is that hopping along the Bend is only if you want to visit places like Steinhatchie, or Cedar Key, or Crystal River. The trip out to deeper water, then up relatively complicated channels to limited anchorages or marinas, isn't worth the extra time and distance, if your only objective is to avoid a night time transit.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine