Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1976 42' lrc

1976 42' lrc

Hi all,
    Looking for anyone familiar with this LRC.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976...s#.UdRyRK79nSg

Does anyone out there know anything about this boat?
    What are your thoughts about 6000Hrs on the 4-53es?
    Thx

Re: 1976 42' lrc

Quote Originally Posted by CarribBop View Post
    Hi all,
    Looking for anyone familiar with this LRC.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976...s#.UdRyRK79nSg

Does anyone out there know anything about this boat?
    What are your thoughts about 6000Hrs on the 4-53es?
    Thx
    Probably time to remove the break in oil. Well cared for they could get 10 to 20,000 hours.

Have a good survey of them but the engines can outlast us if not pushed hard.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I always get a chuckle out of how some brokers describe things. This one - "new Sunbrella enclosure...in 2004". At 10 years, it's hardly new anymore and probably time to be replaced. I know my aft deck enclosure is worn out at the age of 7 years, and it's time to make new panels.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

In 2000 when I bought a 1980 Mark II 42 LRC we looked at Moon Behm. She was OK but we wanted a Mark II. So 14 years later this is an incredible buy in the trawler world. She may have sat awhile during those years so a careful survey of equipment and engines is in order.
    However, the 42 LRC is a great boat for a couple cruising. The gentleman that wrote the first Great Loop cruising book did the loop in 42 LRC. It burns 4 gallon an hour at 7.5 knots and can go 150 hours before fuel becomes an issue. With stabilizers (as Moon Beam has) she is very seaworthy even in really bad conditions. Stabilizers cost $50K to install and may cost big bucks to fix if they have not been maintained, check this carefully. Thats almost the price of the boat. It will never be practical to add them so you want one with stabilizers.
    We loved our 42. At $68K its less than the tax on a 47 Nordhavn, which is the same size but higher as I had one rafted to me one night.
    Skooch
    58 Hatteras LRC
    HatterasLRC.com

I new the first owner and he took VERY good care of the boat , But that's been probably 10 years now . the inside looks the same as it did when the first owner owned her .

Thanks all for your input,
    Is there anyone here close to this boat, that might be driving by some day?
    I looked at one of these a while ago that was "Ready to go"; however, the broker forgot to add " to the junk-yard". The boat was falling apart and full of bugs.
    I'd like to know if this one is worth the couple thousand mile trip.
    Thx again