Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

892 exhaust leak

Wondering if I can ask some advice from my fellow Hatt brothers.

I am currently running down the Tenn-Tom through MS. And I was in a lock doing an engine room check when I discovered some oil on the outboard rear side of the port engine. Upon closer investigation I found a small exhaust leak where the turbo connects to the exhaust tubing and I am now noticing a small sheen out of the port exhaust.

I checked oil and it doesn't seem as though we lost much but it still exists as a problem.

Tightening any clamps doesn't help with the exhaust leak but the oil has me more concerned than anything. I am currently 85 miles from Demopolis yacht basin and would like to know how to proceed safely with any kind of idea as to what is going on.

Coincidentally this is the turbo that we had replaced when we bought the boat.

Am I hurting anything running 1000 rpm and making sure I have plenty of oil?
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

Re: 892 exhaust leak

Now also blowing a small amount of bluish / grey smoke out of the port side.

As long as you have good oil pressure it shouldn't do any damage. Does the smoke clear up when you increase the rpm's?

We have not tried to increase rpm since the leak in the engine room would most likely only get worse. We will try that though to test it out.

I may be incorrect but if i read the post correctely the exaust leak is at the middle of the turbole . If that be the case there is no gasket just metal to metal fit, If i remember correctely when we put our new turbo on we used some material out of a squeez tube. That being the case let it cool and and give it a snug or two but be sure to do it evenely suggest 1/4 or less turn at a time.
    As for the smoke my openion is the two are not related. If the smoke clears keep getting up. If it does not clear. It could be many things from injector to burned valve. Last year i broke a valve or should i say chiped one and the chip went into the turbo. It would blue smoke at slow speeds but if i speeded it up it went away. BUT ALWAYS CANE BACK AT IDLE. iT IS GOING TO BE HARD TO GUESS THAT ONE.

We definitely need a new turbo.

Took everything apart and there is a huge amount of play in the turbo shaft. She was losing quite a bit of oil through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    We definitely need a new turbo.

Took everything apart and there is a huge amount of play in the turbo shaft. She was losing quite a bit of oil through it.
    P;ease keep me informed if the new turbo cures the problem of blue smoke. Black smoke yes blue questionable.

If the turbo is that bad it's going to leak oil into the exhaust. Oil = Blue smoke.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    If the turbo is that bad it's going to leak oil into the exhaust. Oil = Blue smoke.
    Yes i agree.

That is exactly where the smoke was coming from. We have a new turbo coming from Michigan today and installed later as well.

The exhaust leak was on the output side where it meets the exhaust tubing in the boat.