Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

lots of dust everywhere

My wife and I are cleaning the boat today since its raining and bad weather. Thats my luck, down to the keys for sun and fun and get wind and rain. Forecasters say this only happens 2 times/yr. Anyway, I just changed the A/C filter in the aft stateroom 9/6/14 (I wrote it on the filter). My wife and I have been living on board and working 12hrs/day 6 days/wk. So 12hrs/day we arent even here. I turn the units off when we are not here. So the units only run 1/2 of the time. We changed the filters today and they were clogged so bad I'm wondering how air could even get through there. The counters and tables have lots of dust on all horizontal surfaces. Where in the world does all this dust come from? I assume our skin. We've had the boat closed up all the time. Never had the windows open because of the heat and bugs. Do yall have the dust problem too? Any tricks?
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Re: lots of dust everywhere

Hey, there's gotta be SOME downside to being in the Keys..........at least that's what I keep telling myself as I WINTERIZE my boat!

Any chance it is diesel soot from an exhaust leak on an engine?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Could it be that it is not "dust". Compare the particles in the filter to what is on the interior surfaces and see if they are 1. really just dust and 2. the same . If it is another particulate other than what most would call dust could you have something in the interior or the a/c ducts "letting go"? Foam rubber backings or materials decomposing. Most HVAC guys I have known say you will have the most efficient running system by buying the cheap filters(30 day) and replace each month. They let more air pass through allowing the system to cycle cool or heat more rapidly and saving you on energy costs.

Carpet and blanket fuzz? Stop chasing around the bunk so much.

Seriously, we get a fair bit fuzz too. My solution is to capture it with an expanded aluminum filter which also includes a coarse passive electrostatic filter on the return register. The latter self charges as air flows over it and it does a pretty good job of collecting. We clean them about monthly when we are aboard. I also use a charcoal impregnated coarse filter on the supply registers (yes, I know it is a no no) and it collects the debris generated by the ancient ducts and plenums.

Bobk
    1981 48MY

Why is the charcoal a no no?

Quote Originally Posted by season View Post
    Could it be that it is not "dust". Compare the particles in the filter to what is on the interior surfaces and see if they are 1. really just dust and 2. the same . If it is another particulate other than what most would call dust could you have something in the interior or the a/c ducts "letting go"? Foam rubber backings or materials decomposing. Most HVAC guys I have known say you will have the most efficient running system by buying the cheap filters(30 day) and replace each month. They let more air pass through allowing the system to cycle cool or heat more rapidly and saving you on energy costs.
    I'm just calling it dust (in general). Its not dirt or any identifiable particles. Prolly mostly skin, hair and what ever else. Its never been this bad in the past.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Quote Originally Posted by rwappleton View Post
    Why is the charcoal a no no?
    The charcoal is not the no no. Most AC guys will recommend against adding a filter to the supply side because it restricts air flow. I'm compromising with a very coarse filter that catches the debris in the system. The plenum is foam lined and constantly producing bits if degraded foam. The charcoal presumably helps remove some odor.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    The charcoal is not the no no. Most AC guys will recommend against adding a filter to the supply side because it restricts air flow. I'm compromising with a very coarse filter that catches the debris in the system. The plenum is foam lined and constantly producing bits if degraded foam. The charcoal presumably helps remove some odor.

Bobk
    Bob's referring to the resistance a filter adds but knows to find one that has a low resistance.

The total resistance of the filters in the circuit is the concern.

If the first filter is coarse and has a low merv factor in should be ok. Also you can step down the resistance by increasing the size of the filter. More sq inches is good.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks guys!