Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GE appliances

GE appliances

We installed a GE cooktop this past August, and now it will not heat. I have confirmed that I have 240 volts to it. So the issue appears to be a bad cooktop. The concern is warranty since it is on a boat. Has anyone had any issues with warranty from GE on appliances. Please let me know, I have a GE service tech coming Tuesday that is if they will work on a boat.
    Curt

Re: GE appliances

It's a home appliance, that's your home. Why shouldn't they warranty it?

Sears honors their appliance warranty on Windsong.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Dito on the home concept! The is no different on board or land.

Make the representatives your friend with a starter tip.
    it goes a long way.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Shouldn't be an issue as long as they don't see Commercial use.

If there's signs of abuse they will not warranty it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Right. Like if the boat was in commercial service or something like that. But as long as it's your home, they should be obligated to warranty it. They can't tell you where to live. Or where to cook.

First of all, read the warranty. Second of all, the local guy is going to want to get his reimbursement from GE, (who installed it by the way?) so it is not like he is going to cause any issues unless for some reason it is super difficult to get the thing out, another reason to know what is in the warranty.
    Is the problem with the entire cooktop, that is, all the burners are out? If so, (unless it is some very fancy/complicated design) it is most likely a problem with a bad connection somewhere in the circuit, which may be at your panel. For instance, I had an issue with a microwave that I thought had gone bad, turned out to be a loose, as in not fully tight, connection at the panel.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Not sure what type you have, but some cooktops have an internal fuse or circuit breaker system. If you have access to beneath the surface, it's usually located in that area. Hopefully it is something simple.
    Art

I had the microwave/oven and cook top installed by a ABYC electrician. I have 240v at the breaker that feeds both units. The microwave/oven works, the cooktop electronic controls light up buy the burners do not get hot. The cooktop was working after the install on dock power and on my 9kw gen but not on the 15kw gen. (Found this out after we were on the hook and miles away from the yard) I have confirmed that I have 240v from both gens, now the thing will not work on dock, or ether gen. We have a GE service rep coming Tuesday and the unit is ready to be lifted out. I will let all know what the end result is.
    Curt

Microwave does not use 240. You lost one leg of the 240 some where.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present