Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 45 on ebay

45 on ebay

there is a 45 with cats on e bay been redone and shows pick 150000

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-15-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Re: 45 on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    there is a 45 with cats on e bay been redone and shows pick 150000

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    My old neighbor. The po pulled the top and gutted the er. Even has cockpit er access. It's a nice boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I wish him luck. It's a nice boat, but it's the older 45 and it has 3196 Cats, not the best engine they ever made. I know of at least one Series II 45C for sale in that range with M11s. Although not as clean.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I wish him luck. It's a nice boat, but it's the older 45 and it has 3196 Cats, not the best engine they ever made. I know of at least one Series II 45C for sale in that range with M11s. Although not as clean.
    You are correct Jim but for a family boat not a commercial sport fish it is worth a run at it, Just from the picks a lot of work has been done on just the hull. If the engines have had the updated or not not so bad to do them. Evidently they run ok 900 hours is a good indication they are ok. Can find out the history real quick from a local cat dealer just get the serial mumber and a call. Unless i am mistaken i belive cat has a national list on all engines and work done on all of them. (WARENTY)Just got to get in their system....My cousin purchased a taiwan trawler 2 years ago with those engines he uses it quite a bit replaced some injectors thats all so far. Jack warned him of the engines however he got it.

THIS IS ONE IF YOU LIKE IT GET IT AS CHEAP AS YOU CAN AND ENJOY. IT WOULD BE A GRATE PURCHASE AT ABOUT 110 TO 120 . THE OWNER HAS BOAT KNOWLEDGE IF HE HAS OWNED IT FOR A WHILE AND UNDERSTANDS THE MARKET.. THATS A GRATE SIZE. wILL NOT GO FAST TO FALL ON ITS SIDE (KEEL WALK)
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-16-2014 at 08:23 AM.

She's been for sale for a while. Looks like a nice refit but those engines will make her a tough sell. A smart buyer will do their research and find out what the engines history is. Refit was done in 2002 and Cat was dealing with the 31 series issues for a year or two at that point. If these were factory new 01-02 engines then they may be OK. Either way a 3196 boat will have a stigma. I've been told by several Cat guys that there's no such thing as a good 3196. Even with the updates they were marginal engines. If they survey well and have been updated and maintained, she could be a good boat if they get a bit more realistic on price
    Jack Sardina

Exactly.

It's kind of like the 3116 and 3126 engines; they weren't all bad, but enough of them were bad to give all of them a rotten reputation. A boat with those engines is very difficult to re-sell. Whoever buys this one (and it IS a nice-looking boat!) needs to like it a great deal, because he or she is going to own it for a long time.

Tim, your point about the keel-walking is spot on. Tom Slane did one of these boats over many years ago and shortened the keel for exactly that reason. And his boat had 800 hp MANs in it.

Looks like somebody put a 46 hatteras fly bridge on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    Looks like somebody put a 46 hatteras fly bridge on her.
    They cut the roof off and started new. I forget if it was a slane or some other bridge but they did a first class job.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.