Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gross tonnage

gross tonnage

can anybody tell me where i can find the gross tonnage or if someone knows the gross tonnage of a 1990 52c ? thanks

Re: gross tonnage

32 tons or about 60000 pounds loaded fuel and watter that is closs enuff for state work

Brett is correct i was looking at the 45c sorry
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-13-2014 at 01:33 PM.

1988 52C, Per my CG Documentation:
    Gross Tonnage 51
    Net Tonnage 41

I have no idea how the numbers are calculated or if they have any relationship to actual weight.
    Brett

Curiosity got the better of me.....
    Gross Tonnage as it relates to Documentation is a function of volume, not weight. Brett

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    Curiosity got the better of me.....
    Gross Tonnage as it relates to Documentation is a function of volume, not weight. Brett
    Gross tonnage is the weight of water displaced at the point the hull will sink below a determined level like a transom or ER vents. Its usually theoretical. Id not want to test it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

all i know is i bumped the ground in Hatteras. I wanted to pull the boat but the owner of the mariner called Hatteras they said it would way about 60000 that all i know for sure except there is about 2000 pounds to the ton.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-13-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Gross tonnage is the weight of water displaced at the point the hull will sink below a determined level like a transom or ER vents. Its usually theoretical. Id not want to test it.
    That is a lot of help when the lift operator wants to know what the thing ways. Do you tell him you got to sink it first. Sorry Scott it just struck me funny as to why Hatteras would post that or why the coast guard would want it instead of the actual weight of the thing.

Not related to weight:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_tonnage

Historically, it is used to determine how much cargo a vessel can carry for shipping taxes, registration, and port fees.

DAN

Like Dan said , gross tonnage had to do with how much wine a ship could carry.
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC