Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Raw water pump shaft materials

I bought a used jabsco raw water pump for a spare off another boater. I took it to a local shop to have it overhauled to keep as a spare. I developed a leak on my port engine last time out. I opened up the overhauled pump to install an impeller and found a brass/ bronze shaft installed in the pump. My original is stainless. Anyone have an opinion on this material? Seems to me brass and salt water don't mix. What say the experts?
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Re: Raw water pump shaft materials

Quote Originally Posted by Jim saco View Post
    I bought a used jabsco raw water pump for a spare off another boater. I took it to a local shop to have it overhauled to keep as a spare. I developed a leak on my port engine last time out. I opened up the overhauled pump to install an impeller and found a brass/ bronze shaft installed in the pump. My original is stainless. Anyone have an opinion on this material? Seems to me brass and salt water don't mix. What say the experts?
    Mine were originally brass. Worked fine but I swapped it out when I did a full rebuild. All new is better.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

mine are brass so far so good.

4. Re: Raw water pump shaft materials

New rebuild kits I have used had SS shaft....My older pumps had bronze.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I had an oyster shell shear a bronze shaft on a DD 671 years back. Was told they used a bronze shaft originally to shear before damaging the drive gear. A stainless shaft will probably last longer.

Just rebuilt my Jabsco 6980 . Has a bronze shaft. It looked fine. I can document it being at least 10 years old, probably twice that.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Thanks gentlemen for putting my mind at ease.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881