Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Oil pressure alarm

Idling up the river in my 52c at about 800 rpm. Engine sync was on and I notice the starboard tach fluctuating more than normal. Port was steady. It would sync for 15-20 seconds then lose it. This went on for 15 minutes or so until suddenly port engine oil pressure alarm goes off. I had just glanced at it and it was at 20 ....about normal for that rpm. Shut down the engine (8v92ta) and went down to engine room expecting to,find a flood of oil. Could not find anything wrong. Checked the oil level and is was a little low so I added a quart. Back up top, restart the engine and it seems fine......for about 30 seconds then the rpm starts hunting at idle, won't throttle up and about a minute later the low oil pressure alarm goes off again.
    Where do I start?

Re: Oil pressure alarm

Plumb in a mechanical oil pressure gauge to confirm if what you are seeing/ hearing can be confirmed

Took a walk around the marina to think about it .....decided to check the fuel filter...sure enough port side needed changing. Changed the dahl filter (first time for me.....bit of a learning experience ). Primed the system and fired it up. Seems fine now.

I don't think its a pressure problem. sounds like you may have something else going on.

The oil pressure alarm was a by product of the engine really hunting and not holding idle. The low idle probably caused the oil pressure to dip low enough to trigger the alarm. Changed the fuel filter and it seems much happier. Now I should probably change the rest of them tomorrow ...blah.

yeah that would be a good idea. the good thing is now you know the symptoms of clogged filters. glad it worked out for you

Add some fuel vacuum gages with drag needles and you will know when filters need changing.

Bobk

Already have them. Just dumb operator error for not checking them more periodically.
    Lesson learned.