Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feedback on Wesmar Stabilizers

Good day to all,
    I'm in negoations for a 78 43 F/B MY and was wondering if any members have had experience with Wesmar Stabilizers. I've contacted Toledo Beach Hatteras dealer in MI for an installed price on the Naiads and frankly, they are out of their minds if they really think anyone would pay the price they're asking.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

2. Re: Feedback on Wesmar Stabilizers

A friend with a 58 ft yachtfish chose Wesmar and installed them himself. He even fabricated his own oversize mounting boxes (affixed to the hull interior)to distribute stress and strain over a larger hull area. I remember he had several design preferences which the Wesmars offered relative to Niaad, but I don't recall the details..

Re: Feedback on Wesmar Stabilizers

I had a price from Wesmar to install stabilizers on my 1970 fiberglass 46' Matthews motoryacht (a Hargrave design boat) at $28,000.

That doesn't seem at all out of line. There have been articles recently in Passagemaker about these installs- you have to move a lot of stuff and there's a lot of plumbing. And I think the hull has to be reinforced where the fin shafts come through.
    Funny you never see these on convertibles or SF boats. Am I just not paying attention or do they roll less, lower roll center or whatever?

5. Re: Feedback on Wesmar Stabilizers

They cost speed all the time and are an underwater protrudance that can cause trouble when fishing.

I suspect that's a big part of why they're not popular on sportfish..... believe me, SFs do roll plenty

Has anybody offered a gyro tied to the trim tabs? It'd probably be useless at low speeds. But in reference to the thread on chine walking and the enclosed flybridge boats having stabilizers added, maybe a set of "ailerons" could stabilize a boat at higher speeds. Probably too slow a system to be effective, but maybe there's a hydraulic engineer out there with an answer.

I have a 1987 43' motoryacht and had Wesmar stabilizers installed about 4 yrs ago. They have worked fine and have given many smooth rides.
    I had to move my 8D batteries , which was not fun. There is a reinforcing block where the fins are. There is also a lot of hydraulic hose to be run. I would never think of doing this myself even though I do all my own maintenance. Leave it to a professional. Make sure whoever does it has done them before and get references. The $28000 price seems about right

Jzanni, SeaEric;
    Thank you for the reply. Those prices are reasonable. I would even consider 35k for all of the work necessary (Jim R. is correct on amount of work involved) I now feel comfortable with my final price offer on the 43. I'm so looking forward to finally owning a Hatteras. I dock in Lake St. Clair MI which is the home of the SeaRay. She may not be fast but I can't wait to get into the western end of Lake Erie when it's nice and snotty (more times than not) where all those "fast SeaRay's" will be barely above an idle and jaring all the teeth out of the passengers. On those days I can just wave and call out on the radio "What a pleasent day eh boys?" as my slow boat blows by....

A quick side note to the forum members who do big water piloting; I recently moved to MI from the South shore of Long Island (Center Moriches) where I made many a run to the canyon on Hatt's, Bert's and Vikings so no stranger to some rough rides. When I got caught in my first blow on Lake Huron, though the waves were only 3-4 feet they were about 3 - 3.5 seconds apart. Got my attention real quick and took my "big" head down about 5 notches real fast. Though those waves be small they be mighty...

Thanks again for the replies.

Flat sea's and calm winds to all.

Mike

Another forum regular just had Naiads installed last year. He had Naiad come up to Chicago to do it. I don't think any marina was involved. I'd call them direct for a price. Toledo Beach is notorious for inflating outside contract work.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We actually have a old 79 Hatt 60 enclosed bridge sportfisher that had Wesmars on it when we bought it 3 years ago. The previous owner had a wife that got seasick and he had 9 sq. ft. fins put on! These boats were usually speced out for 6 sq. ft. fins. We usually run about 1450 RPM and get about 11 knots. These boats are top heavy and roll alot as evidenced when we turn them off. But Genesis is right, we probably lose 11/2 to 2 knots off rated speed for the small 650 hp 12V71s at any given RPM. One serious problem we had with wesmars was Radio frequency interference. On some boats, if you key the mike of a 150 watt SSB while wesmars are on, it causes the fins to move quite a bit. This happened on our boat when we keyed the VHF mike! We got no help from wesmar tech reps and they claimed they never had that problem. After searching on various websites, we found a number of other boats had a similar problem. They constantly refused to help solve the problem and told us to shut off the fins when keying a mike! I have documented every conversation we had with them. We ended spending close to 3K for two Marine Electronic techs to troubleshoot this. Many hours were spent and we finally relocated the gyro lower in the boat and the control head away from the radios and put a remote on the bridge. So we never really solved the problem, we ended up working around it. Sorry for the longwinded reply, but be advised that you might want to key your mikes while under way and the stabs are on. I'm still upset with Wesmar to this day.