Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Has anyone traveled the Middle Bight of Andros Island?

Just wondering if anyone has ever crossed the Middle Bight, or any of the tidal channels that cross through Andros Island in a larger boat. If so, what was it like, describe the depth and/or tide situations.

Thanks

Re: Has anyone traveled the Middle Bight of Andros Island?

I ve looked at alternate routes to Gtown to avoid the often nasty NW channel and from what I ve seen unless you re running a very shallow draft boat there is just no way to safely cross andros. Many soundings as low as a 2' on explorer charts so even with a couple feet of tide you re cutting it very close with anything drawing more than 3'. And forget getting any help there...

The only alternative is to run south of Andros (pretty well charted and deep enough) and cross the tongue at the bottom end. Problem is that on the other side by the Galliot bank it s mostly unsounded territory
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

No matter how many times I look at my charts, or have them updated, this never changes.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I ve looked at alternate routes to Gtown to avoid the often nasty NW channel and from what I ve seen unless you re running a very shallow draft boat there is just no way to safely cross andros. Many soundings as low as a 2' on explorer charts so even with a couple feet of tide you re cutting it very close with anything drawing more than 3'. And forget getting any help there...

The only alternative is to run south of Andros (pretty well charted and deep enough) and cross the tongue at the bottom end. Problem is that on the other side by the Galliot bank it s mostly unsounded territory

Such a trip would only be for the experience of meandering through the back country. No man's land.

Galliot Bank, is that anywhere near the old submarine tower? It's been so long, I forgot where the old submarine tower is as well!