Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Difference between a 46' and a 52' Hatteras Sportfishing vessel

Their both great sea boats I ran a lot offshore overnight charters on a few different 46's,they lay real well drifting for swords or chunking tuna. The freeboard is high enough that you don't take waves in the cockpit like I do on my 50 who's same as the 53c. Still low enough to bill a fish for tag and release. The 52 is simmilar in handling and ride. But like capt Dave says the ER is cramped and as a fisherman I would prefer the extra tackle storage space rather than the ER access taking up cockpit space. I do prefer the galley up for offshore because you can get a drink or sandwich and still watch the baits. I don't have the problem but I've been on some galley down boats where people go down to make a sandwich and come up green. I've run a lot of charters and I can tell you when one starts chumming they all start chumming!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Tim & Brooks (both owners of 52' s) sum up the boat very accurately IMO. Dave is correct regarding outboard access with the 8-92's as I am 6'4" and struggled getting there but did manage to do so not as often as I would have like to. Salon??? Easily seats 3 on L shaped couches at a table, additional 2 at dinette for total of 5 adults sit down dinner/meals. I have 2 generators (most have 1) which is accomplished by moving the AC units outboard instead of behind the starboard engine. Please feel free to stop by SW FL (Boca Grande area) on your trip to Stuart/WPB and view a repowered, reworked galley, fish rigged 52', that may help you with ideas/insight with your search.

I like the bigger salon in the 52C as well. It is a great boat with plenty of fishing room. We run 19 knots at 1900 burning about 2 gal per mile.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

In searching for the perfect boat, there are so many option to look at. I agree I wish I had more cockpit storage, but the cockpit engine room access was a must on my list. I have had the 46 and yea its an awesome deal, but running the risk of getting the salon floor dirty s high. We all are crazy about our boat, but when we hire someone to do work and turn our head usually they will get the area dirty. I would prefer to clean the cockpit rather than new salon carpet. Both are awesome boats, We are currently going through ours and making the boat more owner friendly. If you have any questions feel free to call.

Brooks
    361-293-8044