Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Difference between a 46' and a 52' Hatteras Sportfishing vessel

If you had the choice to buy either a 46' sportfish or a 52' sportfish, which would you buy and why?
    How much more fuel would you burn trolling at different RPM's, and at cruise speed?

Re: Difference between a 46' and a 52' Hatteras Sportfishing vessel

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    If you had the choice to buy either a 46' sportfish or a 52' sportfish, which would you buy and why?
    How much more fuel would you burn trolling at different RPM's, and at cruise speed?
    Two excellent boats. The 52 is much more boat. Great if you need it but more to maintain and run. Fuel burn is similar between the 52C and the 46HP but the 46 will be running faster while burning slightly less at a given RPM. Have you been on both models and which are you looking at? I had a 46C w/ 550HP 6V92TAs and was looking to move up to a 52C.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 08-05-2014 at 02:17 PM.
    Jack Sardina

Hi All,

6 feet ?? . Was this a test ?

Teasing !
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Jack is correct!
    If you going to fish the boat the 52 is the one. If you are going to race the boat 46 is ok . Of course the big diffrence is the cockpit if you have been in the cockpit of a 52 you will not have to ask . I had a 45c and now have a 52 i love the 52 yes more fuel and more up keep but it fishes grate and a fish raiser 4 tournaments this year and have cought blue marlin in all of them just not lucky enuff to catch a big one.
    Beyond any doubt the 52 is one of the best boats hat ever built in my openion . A grate sea boat if it is to ruff to go in a 52c you better stay home!!!!!!! The three state rooms is a plenty any more the party is to big to fish with good amount of room. As for performance the 46 will out perform the 53 expect to burn about 45 to 50 gallons per hour at cruse for the 52 i do not know about the 46 i am sure it is not to far behind.

Google 52 Hatteras boat test or boat review It tells the story. Find your self a good 52 and do not look back.

Jack is correct!
    If you going to fish the boat the 52 is the one. If you are going to race the boat 46 is ok . Of course the big diffrence is the cockpit if you have been in the cockpit of a 52 you will not have to ask . I had a 45c and now have a 52 i love the 52 yes more fuel and more up keep but it fishes grate and a fish raiser 4 tournaments this year and have cought blue marlin in all of them just not lucky enuff to catch a big one.
    Beyond any doubt the 52 is one of the best boats hat ever built in my openion . A grate sea boat if it is to ruff to go in a 52c you better stay home!!!!!!! The three state rooms is a plenty any more the party is to big to fish with good amount of room. As for performance the 46 will out perform the 52 expect to burn about 45 to 50 gallons per hour at cruse for the 52 i do not know about the 46 i am sure it is not to far behind.

Google 52 Hatteras boat test or boat review It tells the story. Find your self a good 52 and do not look back.

Thanks a lot to all I appreciate the info.
    I have been on the 46C but not the 52C
    It will be used for mostly fishing !
    Thanks again I will be looking at the 52C to buy, when I can find a good one for sale at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    Thanks a lot to all I appreciate the info.
    I have been on the 46C but not the 52C
    It will be used for mostly fishing !
    Thanks again I will be looking at the 52C to buy, when I can find a good one for sale at a great price.
    There have been some very nice ones that sold low over the last couple of years. Many of the good ones are sold but if you're patient they do pop up. There are a few out there right now that look interesting and worth investigating. Best way to find out if they're a good deal or not is to go see them. The Internet is a great search tool but you need to get on board to see what the condition really is. What's your budget and needs?
    Jack Sardina

We have had the 46 and now just purchased a 52. We love our 52 it's an awesome vessel, in all points it is a larger vessel with more room. It's interesting that the performance cost are about the same. We get 1 knot faster than the rpm, so 2000 rpm is 21 knots with full fuel. We have been very happy. We are currently going through the boat checking and fixing. We looked at many boats from 46 to 60. One thing I have found in the past few purchases that have to look at each boat and make your decision based on the boat I think price can be secondary. For example I looked at many boats in the high 100's that would require as much fixing and updating as one in the low 100's. Good luck on your search.

Brooks

Thanks again for everyone's comments.
    I am heading to the Stuart and Palm Beach area at the end of Sept.
    To look at some docks and a couple of boats.
    I will now focus more on the 52' Hatt Sportfish.
    I like the idea of a larger stand up engine room as well as the eng room hatch being outside in the cockpit area.
    What size engines and HP in the 52C that you just bought Brook?
    Are there two gen sets in the 52 compared to 1 in the 46 or the same one ?
    What year was the 52 that you just bought. I am looking for something from 1981-1995.
    Thanks.

Not that it matters but The in the 52ER is a sweat box and it is not stand up. more like crouch up. The out board sides of the 52 are a bitch to get at. Either climb over the generator and slither in front of the engine on the stbd.

My 46 has a big hatch in the salon. I put the air on and it is comfortable to work. I can easily sit outboard of either engine.

I despise the galley up 52, The salon is the tiny. unless you need three SR look at galley down 52's.
    Not a reason not to get the 52 but they could have done better.