Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delaware bay

Delaware bay

I need a little help, I'm bringing my newly
    Purchased 61 MY home to Long Island and
    I may need to layover between the C and D
    and Cape May. Any suggestions ?

Re: Delaware bay

Not many places along that stretch for larger boats. It's not a long run from the CD to Cape May, you're better off stopping before the canal and then doing the run to CM the next day,

I have anchored a few times at the mouth of the Bohemia just before the canal entrance it s a nice scenic spot. Or you can stop at summit marina in the Canal as well as at the marina in Delaware city
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Check Active Captain for the area. Schaeffer's Canal House or the marina on the other side of the canal in Chesapeake City may accommodate you. There is also an anchorage in the Delaware River at the eastern end of the canal that may be suitable depending on weather.

If you use the Bohemia, watch the water depths and tides. It was getting pretty shallow the last time I was in there.

Bobk

Correct about the Bohemia, it's deep enough at the entrance along the southern shoreline, pretty well charted. I ve also stopped in the sassafras which is deeper. Even from there it s an easy day run to cape may the next day
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks for the advice. It will all come down to what time I start out on Thursday.

I particularily like Chesapeake City across from the old Schafers Canal house Restaurant and Marina. We drove over just yesterday for the heck of it for lunch from NJ and as usual we loved the little old village. Several good restaurants and a good marina. A walking tour of the 19th century village should not be missed. Fourteen miles through the canal to the Delaware, then about 50 miles south to Cape May canal or Atlantic Ocean. Check weather conditions and tides as conditions can be a little nasty on the Delaware Bay. If you time it correctly, you can get a couple of knots push (free miles) as well. Have fun.

This isn't the boat that is presently at Piney, is it, by chance?

Yes it is.

Well, congratulations. She's a lovely boat.

Thank you, we're looking to many good years with her.