Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

I hope this is of interest..lights,LED lighting, 32v

Ok folks I am still a newbie (lurking, looking, learning and still searching)…
    And also being a tech geek, I like finding new stuff that might be useful.

Please note-I have no affiliations with any of this…and have not purchased/used any of it yet.
    Maybe everyone already has seen this stuff…but it sure looks interesting to me.
    So this started while checking out the PANBO site-

Marinebeam: Ultra Long Range LED Flashlight Tested,
    Written by Ben Ellison on Jul 8, 2014 for Panbo,
    The Marine Electronics Hub With my camera on a tripod I was lighting up boats and mooring buoys about 500 to 700 yards away (460 to 640 meters) with only an LED flashlight powered b...
    http://www.panbo.com/

Which had me digging a little deeper and it seems this company has some very interesting products + some good tech info as well... with some 32 volt specific products as well.

Drop-in Marine Replacement LED Bulbs for Boats
    http://store.marinebeam.com/

Marinebeam has been the leading manufacturer and distributor of low-voltage marine LED lights since 2007. Our LED products for boats have been selected by vehicle OEMs, boat-builders, the US Army, Navy, Coast Guard, consumers and sailors world-wide. We have the absolute brightest and longest lasting replacement 12V and 24V LED light bulbs for virtually any fixture on your boat, yacht, RV, camper, caravan or motorhome. You will love the results, and that is100% guaranteed!

Because our bulbs are made specifically for mobile and marine applications, they all contain our proprietary on-board DC/DC Constant-Current converter chip-set to maximize output and automatically adjust for the varying input voltages seen on boats and other mobile DC applications with battery-banks and multiple charging devices. This technology also allows running on 12V or 24V, regardless of polarity, and is an absolute necessity to allow the brightest light and longest life when using LEDs on-board. We use only the best bin-select LEDs from Citizen, SSC, Cree, and Epistar.

We do not handle any cheap and dangerous resistive LED products.

Home > 32V LED Lights
    http://store.marinebeam.com/32v-ledlights.html
    32V LED Lights

Good news for Hatteras' owners! Our Edison base bulbs are now available in a 32V configuration.

The other good news is that any of our LED lights can be used on 32VDC systems when they are connected to our simple and easy to install DC/DC converter box, which electronically steps down 15-55VDC to 12VDC precisely.
    This is a true DC/DC converter, and not a resistor, or resistive in any way. It is also not a transformer. It is about 96% efficient, super small, and super-easy. Scores of Hatteras owners around the globe have switched to our LEDs using this simple device.

This is a popular option for converting Hatteras yachts and other 32VDC systems to LED lighting.

This tiny, inexpensive, and simple to install converter gives our customers with 32VDC systems full access to our whole product range of LED bulbs.

oh well getting a limit on attached images...so here is some tech info and I'll try later with the other stuff.
    Technical Info
    Please review the abundant technical information below regarding LEDs, light characterization, thermal management, and other important factors that you need to understand when selecting LEDs for your boat, RV or off-grid application.

Marinebeam was the originator of constant-current LED replacement bulbs for marine use, and is still a leader and pioneer in the field. In business since 2007, we have developed a significant expertise and knowledge base that we are happy to share with our customers.

As technical developers and designers of LED products, we are equipped with our own goniophotometer -photometric instrument for measurement of light energy- as well as other test instrumentation and gauges to assure that our claims are accurate and to industry standards.

Our knowledge and expertise is freely available to our customers, because we believe that a complete understanding of the important aspects of our technology is important when considering our products.

I hope this is of interest, sorry if too long…I will try to send other info
    Dave
    Attached Images

Re: I hope this is of interest..lights,LED lighting, 32v

It's interesting but IMO, LED is (like electric motorcycles) just not "THERE" yet. 25 bucks for a bulb and 29 for the converter means almost 60 bucks per fixture. As I recall, I have had to replace one 32v overhead bulb and one 32V anchor light bulb in the last 6-8 years. So from a cost-effectiveness view I tend to think of LEDs at the moment as, "move along, there's nothing here to see."

If 32V bulbs were unavailable, that would be a different story OR, if the price of conversion was a fraction of the current price, it might be workable. But I don't see that there is anything to gain...YET.

Maybe they are the bulb of the future but when, exactly, does the "future" start?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: I hope this is of interest..lights,LED lighting, 32v

Those are great guys to do biz with, very high quality, good service and knowledgeable about boats and Hatteras boats. I've rec'd them here before a few times

Mike, you can run quite a few LEDs off that little converter, not just one fixture. It is very small so easy to wire in right after a switch.
    Plus they have all the little socket converters.

My boat had been converted to 12v AC halogens in the salon, pilot house and MSR. Apparently later model Hatteras boats had the same set up; the guy at MarineBeam actually referred to these as "Hatteras halogens" and hooked me up with great warm white LED replacements.

I also got from them a great 12v charger for my MacBook Pro, the holy grail for many MBP users, and half the price of the Apple AC chargers.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014