Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Re: 53c like no other

Thank you! What's really gotten my attention is the really poor condition of the cosmetics. Bringing her to the northeast, putting her through those winters has been hard. Lots of paint cracking quickly leads to paint peeling, etc. She shows poorly now simply due to these issues, but what's beneath the paint, what's out of the obvious sight of the lookers is the utter strength, lowered center of gravity, and incredible reliability of the vessel.

Again, I was able to take a terrific boat, very well built, and find all of the flaws of the construction process, and then address and improve those. As you stand aboard another 53c, or aboard any boat of this class, you have a sense of trust that is based upon the reputation of the builder.

The builders aren't perfect, and an attentive eye that can see the basic points of concern aboard a boat that has utterly nothing standing in the way of that view provides a very rare opportunity. A buyer can go find a repower with modern engines. A buyer isn't going to find work performed to this degree.

From the stringer rebuilds to correct the inherent hinge-points, so intermediate bulkheads that have been not only doubled in thickness, but have been saturated with resin and then glassed in fully, carrying the glass out 12-18 inches to spread the load of the forces while keeping the bulkheads 3/8" off and away from the hull of the boat to avoid that direct load causing eventual cracking. We integrated forward floor structure into the hull structure while improving the strength of the design all around the transom and engine room.

No buyer will ever replace the investment, and it's certainly a consideration that no money takes the place of the emotional relationship of being her parent. She's getting her cosmetics now, as she heads to the yard this week for a hull strip and refinish. The painter is beginning the prep work later this week as well. It's long overdue, and I can't wait for the final results. The work is overdue, and she'll be ready for the winter likely coming south to fish the season.

I'm done with ablative paint. Time for copper epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrafford View Post
    I'm done with ablative paint. Time for copper epoxy.
    That would be a huge mistake
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    X10.

Ablative will not have a buildup like the hard or the epoxy copper. Spend $2,000 to remove it once and you'll understand.

Micron 66 is still my go to. It's been the number one paint we use with very few problems as long as you not in fresh water.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Why? The ablative simply doesn't work, doesn't hold up, doesn't deter anything other than boating.

A hard surface is going to perform better, and perhaps have a chance to not allow growth.