Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Northern Lights Genny Lift Pump

Our NL 16kw genny quit at anchor a few nights ago. It slowed down to about 1/2 speed, ran at that speed for a bit and then quit. It would not restart.

It's an obvious fuel issue - there was no fuel at the injectors after it quit. Flow through the primary filter is fine; I replaced the secondary and bled the system. I got a SLIGHT amount of fuel at the injectors but the engine still would not start.

The lift pump puts out a very small quantity of fuel at each pulse - maybe a bit over a teaspoon. Unlike standard automotive fuel pumps of this type, I am not familiar with these particular, very small, diaphragm pumps so I don't know how much fuel they should be moving with each stroke. Can't be too much since they are quite small/short stroke but it seems like very little volume to me. So I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of the volume they should produce at each stroke before I proceed with further troubleshooting.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Northern Lights Genny Lift Pump

Not able to answer that, but, if you find out and the diaphragm is ok, check the spring, may have weakened over the yrs, neighbour had that on a gas job here..

mike a lift pump supplies volume not pressure. It brings the fuel to the injector pump. Fuel lubricates the injector pump. If your not getting fuel to it your injector pump will fail too. this may not be the answer you want but I believe the answer you need will not be the cheap way out.

contact someone at northern lights. you will at least get the right answer. here not so much.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A teaspoonful per stroke may be okay. These are very low fueling engines, and the injection pumps usually don't have a fuel return. They just dead-head, so they don't need a lot of volume.

My recommendation would be to tee a pressure gauge into the injection pump inlet. Those pumps have to be pressurized in order for the pumping plungers to charge themselves. It doesn't take much, a few pounds is what you'd need to see.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Mine is only an 8kW NL using the Kubota engine. I've recently done work on the fuel side and was thinking exactly the same thing when purging the filter and lines, took ages and was sure something was wrong with the piddling little amount coming from the lift pump but when bled it started and ran fine. Seems 'normal'.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info and will do a pressure gauge test. I found the specs for the pump pressure which call for 1/2 bar (a bit over 7PSI) of pressure at the output side so I'll see what it actually does. I put my finger over the output port and IMO, there's hardly any pressure there. I'd guess it's not more than a pound or two at most but I don't have a calibrated finger so maybe I'm wrong!

There is fuel getting to the inj pump (and the injectors) but the pulses at the injector with the line cracked seem rather weak, as if insufficient volume was getting to the inj pump but I can't say that for a fact at this point.

The diaphragm/all gaskets appear to be fine - no cracks, etc. As noted, if the spring is weak, it appears it would reduce the volume and pressure.

FWIW, I swear I've seen accelerator pumps on a Holly 4500 put out more fuel than this lift pump!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Bypass the entire fuel system and pressurize it with an electric fuel pump right at the pick up pump. You may still have air in the system or you may have vacuum leaks in the inlet side allowing air back in the system,I keep a small electric fuel pump with a bunch of different fittings around to do this. I found that two of those banjo fittings were leaking air into mine but never leaked fuel out. Once i corrected that no more fuel issues. Be usre it's primed first then move on .........Pat

We have two NL 20 on the boat I run, these little pumps do not put out a lot of volume when you manually reprime. Is it a teaspoon per stroke, maybe. Keep in mind that while one stroke isn't much, all the strokes add up to quite a but of fuel when the genny is running, or even cranked.

I checked one a couple of years ago, I m pretty sure you can pull the bolts off th pump and check the diaphragm. If it s good then the pump should be fine. In our case, th fuel tank levels are higher than the gensets and one day I found fuel in oil prompting me to check the diaphragm. It turned out the injector pump was leaking fuel into the crankcase (about 4000 hrs at the time)

As much as I hate throwing new parts at a problem, they re pretty cheap so it may be worth just replacing it especially if high hours
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm with doc g. Our kubota users a small electric lift pump that I believe the previous owner used to replace the mechanical one. I have a harness I use when I change filers that let's me prime the system. For all of $50 you can install an electric lift pump. Just my opinion take it as such.

My Norpro 18 (Isuzu engine) uses an electric lift pump. The nice thing is that when you change the secondary or open the fuel system, you just have to turn the key and for the pump to to bleed the system instead of having to manually flick the lever on the NL pump.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat