Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Anyone know this 42' CMY in F. Lauderdale?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I think you are on the right track. Of the brands mentioned above, the Nordhavn would be my first choice, as much as I love Hatteras yachts. Nordhavns are really built for exactly what you are describing as your intended use. Maybe there is one in your price range- I'm sure they are the most expensive per foot of the boats on the list. If you are going to make blue water passages, then you need a boat built for doing just that.

From everything I've heard and read, Nordhavn's backup of their boats and their service network is equal or better to anything out there. Their owners take their boats all over the world and have to be able to contact the factory with service needs from very remote areas.

I've been on a few of them, sadly only at boat shows, but they are the most sturdily built small boats I've ever seen. They aren't exactly pretty like a Hatteras, but it's a different design philosophy- strong and functional and safe. Speed isn't in the equation, but getting you there safe and sound is. If you can find a Nordhavn, that's the choice I would make.
    I have to agree with Jim. One of my marina neighbor's husband died unexpectedly and she asked me to help her move their 47 Nordhavn. The boats are not built for speed, but they are tough as nails and designed for long distances in deep water and less than desirable conditions. This one had a Lugger main engine and a wing engine and top speed with a good current is around 9.5 knots. The interior had sufficient space for a couple and a well designed & equipped galley and a super pilot house & high level flybridge. This boat was 6 years old and still looked like new after heavy usage and many long trips. It was easy to dock with wind and current with thrusters and smooth underway with stabilizers.

It was not the type of boat I would buy because i want the speed to be there if I need it. It does fit the niche for slow cruising and when you want to run night and day on long trips while using less fuel.
    Art

Re: Anyone know this 42' CMY in F. Lauderdale?

As mentioned above All but two of those boats don't fit in the list. Like Jim mentioned, the Nordhavn boats are great sea boats but very slow and not only when you want to go slow. If you were making 1000 mile passages/crossings it would be fine but for the east coast and Bahamas I would so much prefer the Hatteras or even the Viking or one of the other boats listed. You may travel slow speeds most of the time which any of those boats can travel at trolloing speed. But what the other boats offer that the Nordhavn doesn't is the ABILITY to get up and run at 15 to 20 Knots when you want or need to. Plus twin engine meneuverability and safety is key for me as well.

Like I've said before in this thread and many others I believe that the 42CPMY is a perfect little cruising boat for a couple. Big enough to spend time on but small enough to manage. Plus nice walk around decks, nice shadded back porch "Aft Deck" and no ladders to deal with, just nice little 3 to 4 step deck changes. I have never traveled on one at displacement speeds but I believe it would do very well due to the fact it has a nice sized keel under her.

It would be my 1st choice for the way your talking about using it.

Tony