Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Anyone know this 42' CMY in F. Lauderdale?

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    So should we be concerned with them at 1550 hours?
    Only a good engine surveyor can tell you that. Odds are no, they are just getting started. But the odds do not necessarily reflect reality, one way or the other.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

FWIW, at that rating of 375 hp they are very reliable if maintained. I would not be concerned on those hours providing they trial well and pass a thorough engine survey.

Hi Passages

No question, the 1996 42 Hatteras Cockpit model will give you the best of many worlds. In fact, she's one of the last mid-size motor yachts built to such a quality standard. The ill-fated "luxury tax" in 1990 virtually destroyed the American boat building industry. IF THIS BOAT SURVEYS OUT...it would be a great choice.

HOWEVER... and I know I might catch hell from other members here... you also need to check 2 other makes/models before making your buying decision.

2 NEWER boats worth investigating for all your needs are the 1999-2004 Carver 406 Motor Yacht, and the 1999-current Sea Ray 39/40 Motor Yacht. While neither boat offers a cockpit, they did come with an easy access euro-platform, and both models feature an extraordinary layout including queen beds in both staterooms. (Personally I prefer the Carver 406).

The reality here is that there is no such thing as a "premium" quality motor yacht built much beyond 1990. The last "family size" Hatteras, Bertram, Viking and Chris Crafts all ended production in the late 1980s. (The Gulfstar 44 is no Viking). There is a 1986 Bertram 42 in Lauderdale that was repowered 350 hours ago with new 480hp Yanmars (worth a look). There is also a 43 Hatteras 1982 Motor Yacht in Chicago with only 300 hours on 671TIs and reportedly fresh-water since new for $88,000 ASK...also worth a look for an older boat.

The point being with the Carver 40 and Sea Ray 39/40s, is that both are NEWER models, still American Made with reasonable quality, and both offer current era technology, as opposed to 30 year old everything). I looked at the 2000 model Carver 40 in Daytona Beach, and I made an offer on it...Nice Interior, Nice engine room, but needed paint from the decks up. (the boat had been sitting in an ugly divorce for 3 years and the horizontal gel coat surfaces were destroyed by the Florida Sun). I think that model offers EVERYTHING you want, for something built around the 2000 model year.

There is also a Sea Ray 40 in the West Palm Beach area with only 130 original hours since new...

Just a couple of suggestions...

Smile Re: Anyone know this 42' CMY in F. Lauderdale?

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    Hi Passages

No question, the 1996 42 Hatteras Cockpit model will give you the best of many worlds. In fact, she's one of the last mid-size motor yachts built to such a quality standard. The ill-fated "luxury tax" in 1990 virtually destroyed the American boat building industry. IF THIS BOAT SURVEYS OUT...it would be a great choice.

HOWEVER... and I know I might catch hell from other members here... you also need to check 2 other makes/models before making your buying decision.

2 NEWER boats worth investigating for all your needs are the 1999-2004 Carver 406 Motor Yacht, and the 1999-current Sea Ray 39/40 Motor Yacht. While neither boat offers a cockpit, they did come with an easy access euro-platform, and both models feature an extraordinary layout including queen beds in both staterooms. (Personally I prefer the Carver 406).

The reality here is that there is no such thing as a "premium" quality motor yacht built much beyond 1990. The last "family size" Hatteras, Bertram, Viking and Chris Crafts all ended production in the late 1980s. (The Gulfstar 44 is no Viking). There is a 1986 Bertram 42 in Lauderdale that was repowered 350 hours ago with new 480hp Yanmars (worth a look). There is also a 43 Hatteras 1982 Motor Yacht in Chicago with only 300 hours on 671TIs and reportedly fresh-water since new for $88,000 ASK...also worth a look for an older boat.

The point being with the Carver 40 and Sea Ray 39/40s, is that both are NEWER models, still American Made with reasonable quality, and both offer current era technology, as opposed to 30 year old everything). I looked at the 2000 model Carver 40 in Daytona Beach, and I made an offer on it...Nice Interior, Nice engine room, but needed paint from the decks up. (the boat had been sitting in an ugly divorce for 3 years and the horizontal gel coat surfaces were destroyed by the Florida Sun). I think that model offers EVERYTHING you want, for something built around the 2000 model year.

There is also a Sea Ray 40 in the West Palm Beach area with only 130 original hours since new...

Just a couple of suggestions...
    The Carvers and SeaRays as much as they have to offer in emenities and layout the quality in components and layup of the hull are not in the same ball Park as a Hatteras. Great livaboards if you don't travel much or if you don't mind rolling around at the dock. To give you an example of what I mean about rolling around at the dock I only have to go back a few weeks ago. I was on my Hatteras 45C at Conch Harbor Marina in Key West, FL. I had a 45 Cruisers Inc on one side of me and a 480 Sea Ray on the other. With the slight wave action rolling into the Harbor we were dead still in the water and both of the boats I just mentioned were Rolling around and Bobbing Like Empty Gallon Milk jugs on each side of me. Not really bad but the were definetly moving around. Light boats are more susceptible to wave action by moving around much more quickly and easier than heavier boats. I'm not saying that makes them bad boats, like I've mentioned before, everyboat has an intended purpose and market, it just makes them different. If you don't mind that bouncing around than it's not a big deal to you. Me if in open water, I'd prefer the heavier, thirstier boat anyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Now on a river or a small lake I'll take the cheaper, lighter ,more efficient boat. Just my 2 cents, I think the Hatteras 42CPMY is a GREAT all around boat for the Cruising couple, No ladders, Safe Walk Around decks and a nice dependable Power Package with the 3208's. Of the boats mentioned above I know without a doubt what my choice would be.

Tony

Here the most room in a boat I've ever seen.

It's you Jim.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

^To think - a boat designer one day put pen to paper and came up with that design and said "This is really nice". Then the CEO reviewed the design, commissioned the mold and templates and thought such a monstrocity would be a big seller.

Heck, I could come up with something better. How 'bout this:
    Last edited by Passages; 07-08-2014 at 08:17 PM.

^To think - a boat designer one day put pen to paper and came up with that design and said "This is really nice". Then the CEO reviewed the design, commissioned the mold and templates and thought such a monstrocity would be a big seller.

Heck, I could come up with something better. How 'bout this:
    Looks like it will pound in rough weather.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Good for loafing around the bay.

Good for loafing around the bay.
    I could see you kicking back on the aft deck
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I could see you kicking back on the aft deck
    I'd be topside.