Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Good Deal??? 1990 58C

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    The 58C has the biggest keel I've ever seen on a SF. Boat draws 5'11" because of it. My 65 has a pretty good sized keel but not nearly as deep as the 58C. Not sure how stable the boat would be at 7-8 kts after removing 16K lbs from low in the hull. Making a SF into a trawler is a bad idea unless you plan on filing the ER with lead.
    Pull the motors and replace with 50 HP sailboat motors that burn .25 gph.

Add a lead keel cap. Ballast and Xtra water tanks. Then you cruise it at 4 to 6 kts and live off the inverter for months at a time. No need for ac. Hand pump fresh water and head. Look at all the money you'll save.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Pull the motors and replace with 50 HP sailboat motors that burn .25 gph.

Add a lead keel cap. Ballast and Xtra water tanks. Then you cruise it at 4 to 6 kts and live off the inverter for months at a time. No need for ac. Hand pump fresh water and head. Look at all the money you'll save.
    Why not hoist a sail from the outriggers? Either fix it properly or let some else do it right. If you want a trawler buy a trawler.
    Jack Sardina

I didn't know these had 16-92s. Did I read that right?

3406Es sound like a good bet. Enough power, use less fuel, and easier to work around. You might even get something for the remaining working engine and the broken one as a core.

Why not hoist a sail from the outriggers? Either fix it properly or let some else do it right. If you want a trawler buy a trawler.
    Be real Jack. Outriggers are not strong enough to hold sails. I can't believe some of the hair brain schemes people post here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Maybe a spinnaker, though. Maynard? Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I didn't know these had 16-92s. Did I read that right?

3406Es sound like a good bet. Enough power, use less fuel, and easier to work around. You might even get something for the remaining working engine and the broken one as a core.
    3406s are way too small for that boat. It's a huge 58.
    Jack Sardina

Buy the boat for 40 sell the 50k worth of parts for 25 sell the good engine and genny for 30 sell the hull for 10 and come out 25k ahead.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

3406s are way too small for that boat. It's a huge 58.
    You're right. I wasn't looking closely. For some reason I thought it was a 48C. 58s had 12-92s, or 16-92s as an option. 3406s would make her a trawler.

She's on eBay now, 4 days remaining. Seller has removed the reserve and current bid is $45,100.
    if the description is true, the boat is essentially free. Sure looks too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Be real Jack. Outriggers are not strong enough to hold sails. I can't believe some of the hair brain schemes people post here.
    No need for a sail, just kite it: http://images.machinedesign.com/imag...0000049585.jpg

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381