Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Good Deal??? 1990 58C

Does anyone know this boat and it's current condition? If the overall condition is good and the only major problem is a Clapped out motor this may have the potential of being a Great Deal for someone. The 65C is a better, shallower boat with the same operating costs but if this boat can be purchased for $50,000 and you put $100,000 into a rebuilt motor and misc updates you may have something here. The listing even states it has $50K in motor parts that come with it. Hope this helps someone out.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990.../United-States

Tony.

Re: Good Deal??? 1990 58C

That looks like a lot of work. Nice interior, though. Maybe some brave HOF member is stepping up to the plate, even as we read this...

If they have all the parts i wonder why they arent fixing it. Boat looks good and not many 58C have the dark wood interiors. Big concern would be the bad crank. If thats the case then the engine has to come out. If the block is damaged then the repair will be even higher. But given the price and the parts that come with it. It does sound like it could be a good deal. I almost bought a very clean one that had high time on one engine. Engine was tired but still running reasonably well. I went up to 180K but the seller wanted more. Boat sold over a year later for around 185K. If this one could be bought fixed and put in good condition for 150K id think that would be a real nice deal, providing the other engine is good.
    Jack Sardina

Pull the engines (chop into small pieces) and put in small deeres, kubota, cummins, etc and make a trawler. $4 diesel is here, next is $5. Those that can afford to run these boats can also afford a much newer/nicer boat.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Pull the engines (chop into small pieces) and put in small deeres, kubota, cummins, etc and make a trawler. $4 diesel is here, next is $5. Those that can afford to run these boats can also afford a much newer/nicer boat.
    If your going to go sloooow the boat needs a keel to keep it tracking straight in any kind of following sea. I don't know about the 58 but I've fished on some of thesekeel less go fast boats and they suck trolling in a beam or following sea.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Krush, AMEN, you would not see the current market values for mid sized recreational classic boats, if use for their intended purpose made any economic sense. Even given one free, you then have the fuel, maintenance, parts costs, dockage, etc. of a seven figure boat. As you point out, if you can afford to own and use it, you have what it takes to buy newer.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    If your going to go sloooow the boat needs a keel to keep it tracking straight in any kind of following sea. I don't know about the 58 but I've fished on some of thesekeel less go fast boats and they suck trolling in a beam or following sea.

Fishing is a fun activity...it will just have to be done from the dock.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Fishing is a fun activity...it will just have to be done from the dock.
    What's your favorite fish krush?

Charmin snapper or trouser trout? They're the only think usually caught at the dock.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Fix it and keep it the way it was designed. Given all the parts that come with it, it would probably cost more to repower with new small diesels than to fix the 16V92. The cost to get the engines out will be the same either way. A used set of 3412 Cats would be a nice package for that boat.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    The 58C has the biggest keel I've ever seen on a SF. Boat draws 5'11" because of it. My 65 has a pretty good sized keel but not nearly as deep as the 58C. Not sure how stable the boat would be at 7-8 kts after removing 16K lbs from low in the hull. Making a SF into a trawler is a bad idea unless you plan on filing the ER with lead.
    Jack Sardina