Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hat 45 repower

hat 45 repower

can any one share the cost of the installation work for the repower of a 45 hatteras. the cost of the qsm11 seems to be about105k to 112k.
    the cats c12 seem to be around 118k to 122k.
    i have had installation quotes from 35k to as much as 70k
    this is a big difference in install cost.some yards are worth more money but I hope some one can share what their install was and what they got for it.
    shafts strus wheels seatrails complete job no short cuts. if you would like to e mail it to me confidentialy great.

2. Re: hat 45 repower

A pair of QSM11 635s was under 90 (w/gears) last year. If they've gone up that much I don't know if I'd spend the money on them.

Shop the engines HARD. Motors are motors.

I think you're bieng highballed on the engine prices.

70 is way high on the install. What are they quoting for an hourly base rate against which its being done, and what are they doing for the money?

If you're getting a complete engine room refit for the 70, it might not be a bad idea. For just the repower its insanely high.

Re: hat 45 repower

genesis if you can help me with info for the dealer who will sell the qsm 11 for 90k that would be great these are the 660hp. i quoted to lacal dealers for the prices and thats what i got.the boat yard says that the stringers have to be redone on the port side.also that the 2 1/4 shafts with thin wall cutless bearing may not work and would want to go to 2 1/2 shafts and new struts.
    i will have to have them make me a list of exatly what this does cover right now it is a ball park price. what about a the cat prices?

4. Re: hat 45 repower

I called around a year or two ago on this and that was the consensus price.... but it varies from dealer to dealer.

I'd find out exactly what they're talking about in the price. I had a couple of quotes in the $130 range complete with QSM11s - but these were 635s, not 660s.

I wouldn't do the Cats myself - but that's me. I'm not a Cat fan.

What's your goal in terms of performance and such? The reason I ask is that the QSL is now up to 540, and its a MUCH more social engine than the QSM - a LOT quieter and a LOT smaller/lighter. You'll take a LOT of weight out of the boat going with those which definitely helps performance as well, and there's no fit issues at all. Plus the 2" shafts are fine at that power level.

Now you won't pick up big speed with that choice - maybe 23-24kts at cruise, 26-28 in the corner - but your fuel burn will go WAY down and you'll have huge amounts of room in the ER.....

Remember that you only have 600 gallons of fuel on that boat - if you stick big iron in there with a burn rate in the 70gph range you're might be REAL unhappy with the range.....

I don't know what the future for the QSL block is, but I bet Cummins is not done with that technology. The QSM is old-school compared to that engine engineering-wise - if you don't have to do it now I might consider waiting and seeing where Cummins evolves in the next year or two.

I repowered my 45c 1969 2 years ago. I used the cat 3196 with 2 to 1 twin disc trans. new 1 piece 2 inch shafts, dripless seals. The props are 28x34 4 blade nibral. There are special mufflers made for this application by vernatone. The mufflers have an 8 inch inlet and a 10 inch outlet. The price of the complete exhaust system will surprise if not shock you. My cruise is 27/28 with a wot of 31/32 kns. give me a call and i will tell you all of the other fun things that you will need to do if you want to really do the job to hatteras quality as such. 516-680 2293 Stan

6. Re: hat 45 repower

What HP on those 3196s?

The factory rating was 660 hp, but the dynoed out a bit higher at about 675 .

stan if you dont mind sharing what was the materials and labor cost.
    i have been told by several boat yards the rule is that the install is 1/2 the total engine cost?

I really dont have a good accounting of the labor cost as I did most of the installation myself with the help of my mechanic at work, he also fishes with me. The only thing that I shopped out was the fabrication of the engine mounts to the stringers,they had to be made to incorporate the cat vibration mounts. They also adapted the turbo support rods and shift cable brackets. My yard bill was not all that high but it included some misc parts and cables. That bill was about 9,000.00 but it included alot of misc stuff that if i think about it for a time i could make a semi close list. Where are you located? MY boat is in Balt, md. for the winter and i would be glad to go over the project with you. We did a lot of updates aside from just replacing the power.

I was looking on yacht survey earlier and noticed a long article about the differences between 2stroke and 4stroke diesels and how to select your engine. I don't understand a lot of it because I'm still in the learning phase, but maybe you will.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/comparing_diesel_types.htm

Ray